On 07 Oct 2012, at 15:11, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

2012/10/7 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

On 07 Oct 2012, at 12:32, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

Hi Roger:

... and cognitive science , which study the hardware and evolutionary psychology (that study the software or mind) assert that this is true.

Partially true, as both the mainstream cognitive science and psychology still does not address the mind-body issue, even less the comp particular mind-body issue. In fact they use comp + weak materialism, which can be shown contradictory(*).

The Kant idea that even space and time are creations of the mind is crucial for the understanding and to compatibilize the world of perceptions and phenomena with the timeless, reversible, mathematical nature of the laws of physics that by the way, according with M Theory, have also dualities between the entire universe and the interior of a brane on the planck scale (we can not know if we live in such a small brane).

OK. No doubt that Kant was going in the right (with respect to comp at least) direction. But Kant, for me, is just doing 1/100 of what the neoplatonists already did.

I donĀ“t assume either if this mathematical nature is or not the ultimate nature or reality

Any Turing universal part of it is enough for the ontology, in the comp frame. For the epistemology, no mathematical theories can ever be enough. Arithmetic viewed from inside is bigger than what *any* theory can describe completely. This makes comp preventing any text to capture the essence of what being conscious can mean, be it a bible, string theory, or Peano Arithmetic. In a sense such theories are like "new person", and it put only more mess in Platonia.

Probably the mind (or more specifically each instantiation of the mind along the line of life in space-time) make use a sort of duality in category theory between topological spaces and algebraic structures (as Stephen told me and he can explain you) .

Many dualities exist, but as I have try to explain to Stephen, mind and matter are not symmetrical things if we assume comp. The picture is more that matter is an iceberg tip of "reality".

Even  if matter the tip of the iceberg, does the rest of if  "matter"?

Without the rest (water), there would be no iceberg and no tip!

do we can know about it this submerged computational nature?

In science we never know. But we can bet on comp, and then, we can "know" relatively to that bet-theory. So with comp we know that the rest is the external and internal math structures in arithmetic.

which phenomena produce the submerged part of this iceberg in the one that we perceive?.

Arithmetic gives the submerged part. The UD complete execution gives it too.
The emerged part is given by the first person indeterminacy.

Multiverse hypothesis propose a collection of infinite icebergs, but this is a way to avoid God and to continue with the speculative business. What the computational nature of reality tries to explain or to avoid? . May be you answered this questions a number of times, ( even to me and I did not realize it)

Careful. Comp makes the observable reality of physics, and the non observable reality of the mind, NON computational. Indeed it needs a God (arithmetical truth). It explains also why God is NOT arithmetical truth as we usually defined it (it is only an approximation).

By the way, Bruno, you try to demolish physicalism from below by proposing a computational theory of ultimate reality.

Not at all. many are confuse about this. This is the confusion between comp and digital physics. Comp is just the bet that "I" am a machine. Not that reality is computational. Comp makes reality ultra-non- computational, like arithmetical truth is already ultra-non- computational. The computational = Sigma_1 complete. Above it is not computational, and arithmetical truth is the union of all sigma_i (Sigma_0 U Sigma_1 Sigma_3 U Sigma_4 U Sigma_5 U Sigma_6 U Sigma_7 U ...).

Digital physics, although perhaps useful, is contradictory at the start, as it implies comp, but if you get the UDA, you can understand that comp entails non digital physics. By transitivity, this shows that Digital physics entails non-digital physics, and so digital physics is refuted (with or without comp).

I try to demolish it from above, by proposing that perceptions are the effect of computation in living beings for survival .

OK. But you have to assume some sort of reality to define "survival" and to define what is surviving.

I assume, and I make use of it, that the comp hypothesis can also be applied at a level above phisical reality instead of below: a substitution at the axon firing level could be used to substitute a part of the brain by computer chips (by making the chips to inject axonic signals) + perhaps some hormonal control. This substitution level Matrix-style can produce the same first person indeterminacy and still the computation is made within this reality, by real computers made of ordinary matter.

It will work for you, as an external observer for the matrix. But it will NOT work for the people inside the matrix, as they will not stay in that matrix for long, as their reality is the "real" arithmetical matrix. In fact physical computation just don't capture consciousness. Physical reality is completely a product of consciousness, and consciousness is a statistical product of *all* computations. This is something hard to explain, without going through the whole UDA reasoning.

This is enough for a discussion.

With "by real computers made of ordinary matter." I mean that the computers are structures within the mathematical manifold that describe the physical reality (or the tip of the iceberg).

But with comp, the physical reality cannot be taken for granted. You *have to* extract it from the logic of the sigma_1 sentences structured by the person points of view. (unless a flaw in UDA).

I don't try to demolish physicalism. I just show that it cannot work once we assume comp. Without AUDA, I would say that I just translate the mind-body problem into a problem of justifying the hallucination of matter from arithmetic. Then, AUDA gives the method and the non trivial first results. There is already an arithmetical quantization, and it is just beyond my competence to show if it simulates a quantum computer or not.

Many philosophers (especially academical and atheists) hates this as it makes the mind-body problem into a technical problem, and then it is against the current weakly-materialist dogma favored by the most common current ideologies.

The global picture is the same as the one described by the mystics, though, as we can say thanks to that greek period where mysticism was the best ally to science. Indeed the greek created the science from that insight, theology included.

Please keep in mind that: "I am a machine (comp) implies that everything else (matter, consciousness) is NOT a machine".

"I am a machine" is an abbreviation for CT+ "yes doctor" (the "I" is ambiguous).

Bruno

Eventually matter emerge from dreams coherence conditions. Dreams are just the first person view on the relevant computations which exists by elementary arithmetic.

For the perception of time or for the ordering of past events in time since future events are unknown due to the increasing entropy, the mind would make use of another mathematical structure with a relation of order.

I agree, and N = {0, s(0), s(s(0)), ... } is quite enough, at least with the addition and multiplication laws. You can define the order by the order relation x < y, that you can define for example by Ez(x + z = y & ~(z = 0)). That order is enough to define the order of the computational steps in any computations.

With computationalism, physics is *literally* entirely reducible to computer science (= number theory or combinator theory), in a sense similar to the fact that current biology is literally reducible to chemistry, itself reducible to physics. Note that computer science refers to number crunching and syntactical manipulations, but also to the many semantics of programs and computations, like Scott denotational semantics, or like those derived from mathematical logic (self-reference theory, model theory, Curry-Howard isomorphism, etc.).

Here, the use of self-reference makes it possible to explain the *whole* of physics: that is the quanta *and* the qualia together, and why they seems (and are) different. All universal numbers, when looking inward, find that same universal qualia-quanta distinctions. Note this makes comp testable, as you can compare the quanta behavior found by machine introspection with what we can observe, and in that sense, we can say that QM-without-collapse is quite an ally, up to now, to the comp postulate. Newton physics, once assessed, would have violate the comp theory.

Bruno

(*) http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html