Hi Richard,

Somewhow I seem to have lost my reply to your criticism
of my (and Leibniz's) philosophical concept of space.

I believe with Einstein that space consists only of
relative distances, not absolute ones, and also with him
that space and time only exist as spacetime, whose
increment is dxdydzdt. Although spacetime has the dimensions
of distance, there's nothing in it. There's no ether, nothing.

Nothing.

So it is quite logical not to refer to or consider time,
space, or spacetime itself as a "thing", a physical entity,
it is merely the location of an entity.  Similarly,
Kant referred to space and time as intuitions,
not objects. Monads exist in two forms,
the physical substances they refer to and the
corresponding mental idea, which Leibniz
unfortunately also usually calls a substance.

But there is nothing there with merely spacetime
but no object in them. It's just a formality.
So neither space and time nor spacetime
physically exist, and can't appear as monads.
That being so, the universe consists only
of monads in Leibniz's philosophy, an infinite
overlay of dots of true reality.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/11/2012