Hi John Clark

<snip>

ROGER:  > if you could tell me how to determine if a computer has intelligence

JOHN: The same way I determine if one of my fellow human beings is intelligent,
if he beats me at a intellectual task then he's intelligent,
     in fact he's more intelligent than I am at least at that task. A few
people are more intelligent than me at nearly everything, some are
    better at only a few very specialized tasks and some are better than me at
nothing, like people in a coma or dead people.

ROGER: But if a computer beats you at an intelligent task, it would have to be
programmed to do so.
    which means that its intelligence would be that of the programmer. This is
always the case.
    Computers cannot make free choices on arbitray problems. So they have no
intelligence.

(previously)
> free will

JOHN: What a odd sequence of ASCII characters, perhaps your keyboard had a
malfunction.

ROGER: ?

(previously)
> consciousness

JOHN: I detect consciousness in computers the exact same way I determine it in
my fellow human beings, I guess.?
    \I guess that if they're behaving intelligently then they're conscious.

? John K Clark

?

ROGER: I already asked you how you would determine the intelligence of a
computer
    but your answer made no sense.