On 20 Oct 2012, at 13:55, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>

> I think if you converse with a real person, he has to
> have a body or at least vocal chords or the ability to write.

BRUNO:  Not necessarily. Its brain can be in vat, and then I talk to him by
giving him a virtual body in a virtual environnement.

I can also, in principle talk with only its brain, by sending the
message through the hearing peripherical system, or with the cerebral
stem, and decoding the nervous path acting on the motor vocal cords.

ROGER: I forget what my gripe was.  This sounds OK.

> As to conversing (interacting) with a computer, not sure, but
> doubtful:
> for example how could it taste a glass of wine to tell good wine
> from bad ?

BRUNO: I just answered this. Machines becomes better than human in smelling
and tasting, but plausibly far from dogs and cats competence.

ROGER:  OK, but computers can't experience anything,
it would be simulated experience.  Not arbitrarily available.

> Same is true of a candidate possible zombie person.

BRUNO:  Keep in mind that zombie, here, is a technical term. By definition it
behaves like a human. No humans at all can tell the difference. Only
God knows, if you want.

ROGER: I  claim that it is impossible for any kind of zombie
that has no mind to act like a human. IMHO  that would
be an absurdity, because without a mind you cannot know
anything.  You would run into walls, for example, and
couldn't know what to do in any event. Etc.
You couldn't understand language.

Bruno