From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-07, 05:39:11
Subject: Re: Is Nietzsche's shade wandering in platonia ?

On 06 Nov 2012, at 17:45, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

Hi Roger,

If you want to read him that trivially, go ahead. The constant, eternal
revaluation of all values. This is just implied by asking "what's going on?".

And yes, this is gently consistent with never ending platonic questioning + a
popper style negation, even humor, on his own statements, that they are wrong,
that they not be overly concretized. Nietzsche never "taught his own ideas",
although he was active academically very early.

If you'd open a single page, you'd see how conflicted he was about the
transmission of fruits of introspection. But I wouldn't want to offend you with
any of that, or that I think he anticipated the computer + its consequences
more than once, as you already have made up your mind in a rather
discriminatory fashion without reading the man/machine in his native language,
so...

I am not merely a platonist: also guitar cowboy and dance and jam in every
realm I can and keep my platonism in check with my sense of groove and swing +
good steak, now and then. I have a taste for the Dionysian joys, for colors,
and richness, variety as much as I love Platonia.

But Platonia, in this abstract technical sense you imply, is pretty joyless and
dull. Nietzsche is good antidote for that. On Kant he mused once: "What kind of
a soul must build such an unassailable fortress of thought? What is it
distracting itself from, building these labyrinths of descriptive power for a
group of disciples it will never admit to itself, that it vainly wants to have?
For why else build such fortresses?"

For these reason I'd suggest for you to not read him, especially not in German.
Right on with "garbage he taught", would be the first thing he'd admit and
laugh.

It does look we agree that Nietzsche was a poet with a deep talent. I read
"Also Sprach Zarathustra", in german and in french, and I love it, but, later,
rereading it, I got a feeling of uneasiness. I got it also with many people
idolatring Nietzche, or taking granted what he said, I dunno.
It might be, correct me if I am wrong, a sort of remanent atheism in the work,
or perhaps it is, like with art, just a question of taste. May be I have
unconsciously rely his "uber mensh" with what happened in WW II.
I certainly do appreciare Richard Strauss "Also Sprach Zarathustra", but that's
thanks to "2001 Space Odyssey", plausibly!

Bruno

PGC