On Friday, November 16, 2012 5:55:41 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

>  Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> I agree with what you say, but there's no need to humanize
> the coffee filters nor humanize intelligence or consciousness.
> I'm not talking here about IQ. My point (speaking here as Leibniz)  is
> that
> nature down to the lowliest beings (a grain of sand) has intelligence
> of some sort. Nature is alive, and life is intelligence.

My point though is just because we put fibers into a mold or dots on a page
into a form we can recognize doesn't mean that we have created new life and
intelligence. There is a difference between assembling something from tiny
spatial-object parts and something reproducing itself from
teleological-experiential wholes. A mannequin is not a person. The plaster
and steel the mannequin is made of may certainly have a quality of
experience, and although it is hard to speculate on exactly what kinds of
experiences those are or what level of microcosm or macrocosm they are
associated with, one thing that I am quite certain of is that the plaster
and steel mannequin is not having the experience of a human person, no
matter how convincing of a mannequin it looks to us to be. The same goes
for cartoons, drawings, photos, movies..those things aren't alive or
intelligent, but they are made of things which, on some level, are capable
of sense participation. Computers are just a more pronounced example. As
they improve they may be more convincing imitations of our human
intelligence, but that quality of awareness is only a recorded reflection
of our own, it is not being generated by nature directly and it is neither
alive nor intelligent.

Craig