Hi Roger,

I think it's circular to define a monad as a being gifted with the power of
action if we are using the monad hypothesis to try to explain
consciousness, which can be considered the power of action in the sense
that L intends here. I don't think that in that sentence he is suggesting
that the mechanical automatons which were built in his lifetime would be
beings gifted with the power of action. Machines don't exactly have a
'power' of action, but their operation results in the effect of the action
of their parts.

In the 17th century, it was easier to say that rather than having the power
of actions, machines are simply subject to reaction, and as such are not
beings and not monads. However, it can be said that since that time the gap
has closed, because

1. Genetics and evolution reveal mechanistic sub-personal and
super-personal levels which paint our power of action as dual mechanisms of
reaction. Scripted from below and selected naturally from above, we are
functionally indistinct from a machine, or so it would seem logically.

2. Nuclear physics reveals a microcosm replete with action-reaction
dynamism. If they are monads, then the question of why some of their
configurations are gifted beings and others are reactive non-beings becomes
the more relevant question.

3. Fully automatic mechanisms; everything from automatic transmissions to
Google computer driven cars show that mechanical reactions seem to be a
fair substitute in many cases for the functions and behaviors of gifted
beings. We now have interactive machines and the promise of robots and even
nanobots which can seek out their own energy sources and reproduce.

Those three add up to a pretty strong case for functionalism ruling out any
meaningful difference between man, monad, and machine. Most people who
understand that case are understandably persuaded that it must be the case,
especially with what seems to be a strengthening of the case continuously
with studies which seem to undermine the authenticity of free will and the
veracity of our personal perception. At the same time, AI would seem to be
making gains in the application of mechanically-intelligent systems, at
least to a wider and wider range of technologies.

Why I think that this is actually not the whole truth is that because of

1. *The Hard Problem and Explanatory Gap*. Logically, and with automatic
mechanism, there is no reason for any such thing as experience to exist in
the universe and no justification for strong emergence. Not only is there
no reason for an eyeball to open the brain up to a world of color and
images, and nothing for color and images to be made of, and nowhere for
them to exist in the universe, even the idea of something like geometric
logic to exist in the universe is ultimately as superfluous as
consciousness. There is simply no plausible function for any kind of
aesthetic richness. There is no material support for any more than a single
channel of information transfer, as is revealed by the lack of utility
within computers for anything other than invisible, intangible execution of
binary coded voltage manipulations. The computer doesn't need to experience
anything visual, you do. But why?

*2. The Brain as Reducing Valve*. Studies such as the recent one on
psilocybin (http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/01/17/1119598109), the
1995 Crick & Koch study showing that the visual cortex doesn't contain
visual experience (http://papers.klab.caltech.edu/26/1/69.pdf), and now
this study on neuroimaging trance states
(http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0049360)
are part of a body of evidence suggesting that activity in the brain is not
correlated with what we might expect. Complex, aesthetic experiences like a
psychedelic trip or composing an intricately worded message seem to
coincide with lower activity in the relevant areas of the brain rather than
higher levels. The Koch study tells me that the visual cortex is about
using our brain to pay attention to visual patterns, but not about actually
seeing. The images are not there in the brain, despite those blurry blobs
(http://us.gizmodo.com/5843117/scientists-reconstruct-video-clips-from-brain-activity)

which are being extracted by analyzing the neural evidence of that
attention. I think that we are painting digital pictures based on where we
are looking, not what we are seeing, and that these blurry images, rather
than heralding an age of better and better images lifted from fMRIs of
brain activity, should be understood to be the end of the line for
phrenological assumptions about the brain where images literally reside
inside the brain. This ultimately is no different from looking for small
kitchens in the brain where the smells of remembered aromas are cooked up.
It's a category error. Stop it.

*3. The Fundamental Wonder of Consciousness*. Awareness is not remotely
like anything else from our perspective. The visceral depth of realism
cannot be easily accounted for by mere arithmetic equivalences. For a
computer, 'trying harder' simply means allocating more resources to a job.
If you want your human robot to lose weight, you simply instruct the robot
to do so programmatically, and it will consume less calories and exercise
more. What we face as conscious beings is much different. We may logically
understand that it is critical to our survival and well being to lose
weight, yet in practice, we are loathe to actually do the simple tasks
which we know will cause that to happen. What stops is is a feeling which,
like pain or blue, has to be experienced to be understood. We are compelled
by a subjective, semantic experience which we not only find unpleasant and
therefore modifies our behavior mechanically, but it has qualities that
somehow compel the interpretation of the experience as being unpleasant in
the first place. The qualities can even be separated out so that we can
learn to like the unpleasant sensations and addicted to them as in anorexia
or bulimia. Besides the Hard Problem question of 'Why does experience exist
in the universe?' and the Explanatory Gap of 'How is qualia appearing from
my brain?', the nature of qualia itself is orders of magnitude more subtle
and interesting than any underlying information-theoretic function behind
it. It's like creating a symphony orchestra to play every time a traffic
signal turns red, or a thousand traffic signals turn red in a row. Where
are these qualities coming from? Why are they so wonderful and awful?

*4. Multisense Realism.* I have put together what I think is a better
explanation which makes sense of all of the above. By placing sense or
experience itself as the fabric of the cosmos (not matter, not information,
not quantum), then it makes sense that aesthetic richness rather than pure
function would be the primary product of the cosmos. This, product, which I
call significance is accomplished through the juxtaposition of one kind of
presentation (of private sequential experiences of a highly plastic,
dynamic, and multivalent nature) with its opposite (a public spatial
relativity of objects in discrete, static, literal positions and scales).
This juxtaposition of presentations and nested meta-presentation levels
give rise to analytic geometry vs algebra on one 'side', and synthetic
metaphor and gestalt on the other. The interplay not only created
significance in the form of more meaningful subjective experiences for
evolved living organisms, but a more magnificent collection of objects on
the exterior side. The felt ordinality of our superior interiority (we're
number one!) is matched in some ways by the known cardinality of our place
in an increasingly vast exteriority. The quantitative and qualitative sides
both make their own aesthetic contribution, but ultimately it is the
aesthetics of the thing and not the computable function of the thing which
is worthwhile. Without the subjective experience, the vastness of stars in
the universe or molecules in a grain of sand on a beach is
indistinguishable from nothing at all. Without either the sense of a
universe within us or a universe without us, there would be no possibility
of what we know as 'realism'. Significance alone can create a beautiful
experience, but without the appearance of entropy and loss, that
significance can gain no traction, grounding. I suspect that it's not the
Higgs Boson or any other partical, but external realism itself which
'causes', or rather embodies gravity.

Craig