Hi Craig Weinberg
You hit on a weak point. There is no agreed-upon version of Leibniz's
definition of substance.

Here's two versions, which do not contradict each other when adjusted (see
below).
1. Leibniz [snip] considers substance as "a being gifted with the power of
action".

2) L's substances are "complete concepts" , those being corporeal (extended)
bodies,
so are not ideas and such inextended subjects.

L's substances are similar in that respect to Aristotle, except that while
Aristotle's substances are
of the same stuff, Leibniz says that they must all be different, and not only
that, they keep changing.

L's MONADS are substances without parts (with no internal boundaries).  Two
rocks cemented together
would have an internal boundary, and each part would be a substance, the whole
body being
a composite monad or two substances.

IMHO mannekins are not wholes, as, say, Caesar is whole, and they also have
internal boundaries.
By whole subject I mean that to which predicates can be attached.
Below an author discusses five versions Leibniz gives of substance and
allows for them if the fifth, conflicting version, is omitted.

http://www.ditext.com/russell/leib1.html#4
"4. His premisses
      The principal premisses of Leibniz's philosophy appear to me to be five.
Of these some were by him definitely laid down, while others were so
fundamental that he was scarcely conscious of them. I shall now enumerate these
premisses, and shall endeavour to show, in subsequent chapters, how the rest of
Leibniz follows from them. The premisses in question are as follows:
Every proposition has a subject and a predicate.
A subject may have predicates which are qualities existing at various times.
(Such a subject is called a substance.)
True propositions not asserting existence at particular times are necessary and
analytic, but such as assert existence at particular times are contingent and
synthetic. Thc latter depend upon final causes.
The Ego is a substance.
Perception yields knowlcdge of an external world, i.e. of existents other than
myself and my states.
The fundamental objection to Leibniz's philosophy will be found to be the
inconsistency of the first premiss with the fourth and fifth; and in this
inconsistency we shall find a general objection to Monadism.
5. Course of the present work
      The course of the present work will be as follows: Chaptcrs II.-V. will
discuss the consequences of the first four of the above premisses, and will
show that they lead to the whole, or nearly the whole, of the necessary
propositions of the system. "

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
11/18/2012