From: Stathis Papaioannou
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-14, 19:19:56
Subject: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brain study
shows

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

?
I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. There is nothing in what I
feel that would provide me with any certainty that my brain is not being
manipulated by someone by remote control, for example. That possibility is
entirely?onsistent?ith my subjective feeling of freedom.

Of course that's possible. In fact it is a common psychotic delusion. Indeed,
we are complex and have many competing aspects of our self with different
agendas. The reason why it doesn't make sense however, is why would any process
exist which creates an epiphenomenal person such as you. By extension, that is
the problem with mechanism and functionalism as well. If you have a perfectly
good computer which operates a robot navigating a physical world whose purpose
is to survive and reproduce, what would be the advantage of generating an
internal representation delusion to some made up 'person' program when the
computer is already controlling the robot perfectly well. It would be like
installing an chip inside of your computer to simulate an impressionist painter
who actually paints tiny paintings for a made up audience of puppets to think
that they are looking at. Even then, you still have the Explanatory
Gap/homunculus problem. You still ARE NO CLOSER to closing the gap as now you
have an interior 'model' which has no mechanism for perception. You have just
moved the Cartesian Theater inside of biochemistry, but it still explains
nothing about how you get from endogenous light to endogenous eyes which see
images through biophotons rather than are simply informed of their quantitative
significance directly and digitally.

You have just presented an argument for why consciousness is a necessary
side-effect of intelligent behaviour. If it were not so, then there would have
been no reason for consciousness to have evolved.
?

--
Stathis Papaioannou