On Friday, December 14, 2012 8:12:24 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> You have just presented an argument for why consciousness is a
> necessary
> >> side-effect of intelligent behaviour. If it were not so, then there
> would
> >> have been no reason for consciousness to have evolved.
> >

> > Consciousness evolved from awareness, not intelligence. Awareness did
> not
> > evolve. Evolution is a feature of experience, which is the consequence
> of
> > awareness. Intelligent behavior is more or less meaningless. It's a
> > outsider's judgment on some observed activity where he projects his own
> > standards of sense and motive onto some context he may or may not know
> > something about. Intelligence is prejudice really.
>
> So that there can be no confusion, what I mean by "intelligent
> behaviour" is behaviour such as looking for food or avoiding
> predators.

So amoebas then. Or T-cells.

> I take "consciousness" and "awareness" as synonymous.

You can, but I separate them to make the more important distinction.
Consciousness is multiple sets of awareness, by my meaning.

When
> an animal looks for food I assume that it is aware. The question is,
> why did animals not evolve to do this without awareness, since it
> would have the same effect of propagating their genes either way? An
> answer is that awareness necessarily occurs when the type of behaviour
> that would lead us to suspect awareness occurs.

So ribosomes then? Chlorophyll? They appear aware to me. Atoms, electrons..
They respond to collisions, they organize when they have the opportunity. I
suspect awareness in every type of behavior.

Craig