On Friday, December 14, 2012 7:19:56 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

>> I don't see how you can come to that conclusion. There is nothing in what
>>> I feel that would provide me with any certainty that my brain is not being
>>> manipulated by someone by remote control, for example. That possibility is
>>> entirely consistent with my subjective feeling of freedom.
>>>

>> Of course that's possible. In fact it is a common psychotic delusion.
>> Indeed, we are complex and have many competing aspects of our self with
>> different agendas. The reason why it doesn't make sense however, is why
>> would any process exist which creates an epiphenomenal person such as you.
>> By extension, that is the problem with mechanism and functionalism as well.
>> If you have a perfectly good computer which operates a robot navigating a
>> physical world whose purpose is to survive and reproduce, what would be the
>> advantage of generating an internal representation delusion to some made up
>> 'person' program when the computer is already controlling the robot
>> perfectly well. It would be like installing an chip inside of your computer
>> to simulate an impressionist painter who actually paints tiny paintings for
>> a made up audience of puppets to think that they are looking at. Even then,
>> you still have the Explanatory Gap/homunculus problem. You still ARE NO
>> CLOSER to closing the gap as now you have an interior 'model' which has no
>> mechanism for perception. You have just moved the Cartesian Theater inside
>> of biochemistry, but it still explains nothing about how you get from
>> endogenous light to endogenous eyes which see images through biophotons
>> rather than are simply informed of their quantitative significance directly
>> and digitally.
>>

> You have just presented an argument for why consciousness is a necessary
> side-effect of intelligent behaviour. If it were not so, then there would
> have been no reason for consciousness to have evolved.

Consciousness evolved from awareness, not intelligence. Awareness did not
evolve. Evolution is a feature of experience, which is the consequence of
awareness. Intelligent behavior is more or less meaningless. It's a
outsider's judgment on some observed activity where he projects his own
standards of sense and motive onto some context he may or may not know
something about. Intelligence is prejudice really.