On 12 Jan 2013, at 12:52, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi everything-list,

I don't believe that Descartes would accept the MWI.
Here's why:

I think that the ManyWorldsInterpretation of QM is incorrect,
due to the mistaken notion (IMHO) that quantum waves
are physical waves, so that everything is physical and materialistic.

This seems to deny "quantum weirdness" observed
in the two-slit experiment. Seemingly if both the wave
and the photon are physical, there should be nothing weird
happening.

My own view is that the weirdness arises because the
waves and the photons are residents of two completely
different but interpenetrating worlds, where:

1) the photon is a resident of the physical world,
where by physical I mean (along with Descartes)
"extended in space",

2) the quantum wave in nonphysical, being a resident of
the nonphysical world (the world of mind), which has no
extension in space.

Under these conditions, there is no need
to create an additional physical world, since each
can exist as aspects of the the same world,

*all* physical worlds are internal views of one simple arithmetical reality.

Many-worlds is a priori neutral on the primitive physicalness of the world. Computationalism is not neutral on this.

Adopting the computationalist hypothesis in the cognitive science leads to many (immaterial) dreams, and it makes open the question if some of those dreams define a notion of entirely well defined "physical worlds". Worlds can be defined as maximal consistent extension of dreams.

one moving in spactime and being physical,

Phenomenologically.

the other, like
mind, moving simulataneously in the nonphysical world
beyond spacetime.

"moving" don't apply clearly to "mind". It is part of the epistemological appearance.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/12/2013