On 2/19/2013 2:12 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 2/18/2013 11:03 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 2/18/2013 11:47 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:

        If God is arithmetical truth, then what if anything is there to be said
about
        its "character"? I know from a formal perspective the answer is nothing,
        because nothing formal can be said about truth.

        This is more of an informal question, and comes out of my innate desire
        to anthropomorphize.

        Why would you suppose that your desire to anthropomorphize is anything
other
        than wishful thinking?  Do you also have a desire to anthropormorphize
the
        periodic table?  the solar system?  the infinitesimal calculus?

    Within comp, there are many minds that have infinite computations resources
at
    their disposal.  They can evolve forever, and approach infinite
intelligence and
    knowledge.

    You're just making this up.

I'm not. Look in the universal dovetailer and you will find such intelligent processes with unlimited memory and processing at their disposal, in fact you will find an infinite number of them.

Ok, show me just one.

    The evidence is that smarter people tend to have fewer children and so
evolution
    doesn't necessary favor intelligence.  It is also quite possible that
evolution
    always leads to a stage of species growth which so exploits the environment
of its
    planet that is goes extinct within a few hundred thousand years.

I don't see how this is an argument against my assertion that there exist intelligences with infinite computational resources (assuming arithmetical realism).

Even assuming arithmetical realism physics and intelligence go together and they arise from evolution. You seem to be postulating God(s) in Platonia, not ones that can act here, they are just numbers and theorems.

    They all explore the same mathematical truth and thus having the same data
(that of
    mathematical truth they explore) together with near infinite intelligence,
they are
    almost never wrong on any question or matter.  Thus, despite possibly
different
    origins, they are all of a like mind, opinion, and possibly character.  The
number
    of fundamental questions on which these super intelligence disagree goes
towards
    zero as their intelligence goes towards infinity.

    With infinite computational power, these God-like super intelligences have
the
    power to save other beings (regardless of what universe the other being
hails
    from).  These God-minds are in a position to help, and thus responsible for
the
    outcome if they fail to act.  There is much suffering of conscious beings
in the
    physical universes.  With infinite computing power at their disposal, these
super
    intelligences can determine re-create any conscious being from the moment
of its
    physical death and ressurect it to a existence of that being's desires.
This is
    not to say this is what they would do, but if it is the right decision to
make,
    then nearly all super-intelligences will agree it is the right thing to do
and will
    do it.

    Right by whose measure?

Right according to the minds of the super intelligences. It is said when intelligent people disagree it is due to a difference in data.

A lot of things are said.

Well these intelligences have access to all the same mathematical truth. If you define intelligence as the probability of being correct on any given question, then super intelligent entities ought to always agree, on questions of math, theories of mind, theology, morality, what's right and what's wrong, etc.

    If God doesn't love me and mine why should I care what he loves?

Maybe those God(s) do love you.

And maybe it/they hate you.

    When people talk about God-minds deciding what is right I reach for my gun.

That's nice, but it doesn't really add anything to this debate.

It points to the danger of invoking gods to do your ethical thinking for you. Theists always worry that without God there will be no absolute right and wrong. I worry that there will be.