On 29 May 2013, at 00:10, John Mikes wrote:

Evgenyi, you write very 'deep' and 'smart things.
One bothers me:
  "..the neurological substrates that generate consciousness."
first the anthropocentric sound (neurological?) and then the unidentified term of Ccness. In this same post (cf Russell and Brent) different contents are proposed, still with (some) "awareness" type side-effect in the shadow, while I keep propagating the final result of my 2 decade long struggle to "generalize" the term, used by EVERY author as THEIR theory required, into RESPONSE TO (first: information, then refined into) RELATIONS. From such wording all human, animal, plant, in fact all DNA-based- and not based Ccness variations can be derived. Neocortex etc. makes it easier. The thermostat has none of the kind, yet it exercises the PROCESS of CCnes quite well. We T H I N K in human terms with our human mind (indeed: language). The fact that we are ignorant in following other "languages" than human does not mean that those creatures have none. The 'crystal' decides (in its ways) whether to build further links, or terminate the growth, a 'mental object' (idea?) decides(!) whether to branch out into broader domains, or let it be as is. Bruno's restrictions (Loeb, comp, numbers) are regrettably suppressing his brillinat mind into limitations he does not want to transcend. Pity.

John, I respectfully disagree with the term 'restriction'.

Löb, numbers, ... are consequence of comp, and if you postulate non- comp, you become the one restricting consciousness to a smaller class of entities.

Comp can be seen as a restriction with respect to panpsychism, OK. But saying that every entities are conscious makes consciousness into a trivial notion, and we loss the explanation of where the physical (quanta and qualia) comes from.

Bruno

Brent sometimes observes limits of a rather physicalistic way in his conclusions (pity, again) and Russell seems not to forget sometimes what he wrote in his books or taught to students. I freed up into agnosticism and accept critical denigration. It was not easy. I had to abandon 'that' conventional science of my 50+ years lectured on 3 continents and start my 'thinking' anew. I could not review and start again, if a nonagenarian is wrong, he should close shop and go fishing.

John Mikes

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote: "The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates."

http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeDeclarationOnConsciousness.pdf