On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:26:02PM +0200, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > However a darwinian process is a natural process. In a block universe,
>> > there
>> > is no such darwinian process (because there is no process of any kind at
>> > all).
>>
>> Not sure I understand why there is no process of any kind in a block
>> universe.
>
> In a trivial way, there is no "change" in a block universe. But in a
> somewhat less trivial way, there are no irreversible processes in a
> block universe

Ok, but I don't think that darwinism is necessarily a process. It
could be seen as a type of structure in a block universe, no? This is
why I argued with John Clark some time ago that darwinism might be an
incomplete theory, and that there might be something more fundamental
going on, which explains the "illusion" of evolution. Sorry if I'm
rambling a bit, still having my first coffee.

What I'm suggesting is darwinism + anthropocentrism. I believe this is
inline with the ideas you describe in your book.

>> > Simply some paths in the block universe maintain the entropy constant
>> > against the surroundings. These paths are living beings along their lines
>> > of
>> > time.
>>
>> I'm not sure I can agree that, for example, a program in the Tierra
>> environment maintains a constant entropy against the environment.
>> Could you describe more precisely what you mean?
>>

> Its more of an entropy pump. Chris Adami has written some stuff on
> that, using a related system called Avida.

Ok, I'm familiar with Tierra and Avida but I don't recall coming
across those ideas. If you find a reference, I'd be interested.

Best,
Telmo.