On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 10/17/2013 5:42 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 10/16/2013 11:55 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>
>>  I see your reference and raise you a reference back to section 4.1 of
>>>
>>> http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312136
>>>

>>  From the paper:
>>
>> "What of the crucial question: should Alice1 feel uncertain? Why, Alice1
>> is a
>> good PI-reductionist Everettian, and she has followed what we’ve said so
>> far. So
>> she1 knows that she1 will see spin-up, and that she1 will see spin-down.
>> There
>> is nothing left for her to be uncertain about.
>> What (to address Saunders’ question) should Alice1 expect to see? Here I
>> invoke the following premise: whatever she1 knows she1 will see, she1
>> should
>> expect (with certainty!) to see. So, she1 should (with certainty) expect
>> to see
>> spin-up, and she1 should (with certainty) expect to see spin-down. (Not
>> that
>> she1 should expect to see both: she1 should expect to see each.)"
>>

>>  But this is where the basis problem comes in.
>>

>  The basis problem is no different from the "present" problem under
> special relativity: If we exist in many times across space time, why do we
> find ourselves in this particular "now"?
>
>  I believe it is a matter of what information the brain has access to
> within the context of the conscious moments it supports. The "now" brain
> doesn't have access to the information in future brain states, and only
> limited access to information from past brain states, so any particular
> conscious experience appears to be an isolated moment in time.
>

> That is really just restating the problem in other words: Why does the
> brain have access to this and not that?

I am not really following what question you are asking.  Are you asking why
the brain state is isolated, or why we (who are here) are not experiencing
the them (over there)?

>   Of course the materialist answer is that there are two brains and they
> are not in a superposition in the basis we can agree on as being "this
> world".

The brain is a classical computer operating on classical information. It
does not operate upon or process qubits so I don't see any reason it should
be conscious of its multiplicity. The information patters in differently
conscious brains are not accessible.

>   But that's not compatible with Bruno's idea of eliminating the physical
> - at least not unless he can solve the basis problem.

Could you do me a favor and explain what the basis problem is in a way that
a 6th grader could understand?  I've found all kinds of things said on it,
and they all seem to be asking different things.

>>   Why is the experience classical?  Why doesn't Alice simply experience
>> the superposition?
>>

>  There various elements of the wavefunction corresponding to different
> experiences for Alice are macroscopically distinct and thus they have
> decohered and will never interact again. Without a classical information
> exchange between the various Alices there is can be no awareness of the
> experiences of the others.
>

>>  Is there something about superpositions that makes them inherently
>> inexperiential?
>>

>  Nothing more than what makes your state of 5 minutes ago
> "inexperiential". It is only "inexperiential" from the viewpoint of Brents
> in other times.
>

> But there is a basis in which Brent is a superposition...maybe even a
> state that is a superposition of Brent-now and Brent-5min-ago given that QM
> is time symmetric.  The question is why does "experience" adhere only with
> these certain states which we call 'classical'.

I think Ron Garrett gives a good explanation for this.  In short,
measurement and entanglement are the same phenomenon.  See this part where
he describes quantum information theory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc&t=46m25s

Jason