On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2013, at 19:30, Jason Resch wrote:
>

>> Normally this is explained in Albert's book, which I think you have.
>>

> Are you referring to "Quantum Mechanics and Experience" (1992)?  I do not
> have this book but will add it to my list (if it is the same).
>

> It is that book indeed. very good, imo, even if quite unconvincing in his
> defense of Böhm, and his critics of Everett.

Bruno,

I have just finished reading this book.  I thank you for recommending it as
it helped me get some familiarity with the math and the notation.  I found
the first 120 or so pages quite infuriating, for he would seeming get so
close to the idea of observers being in superpositions, (teasing and
dangling the idea), while all the time dismissing it as nonsensical.  It
was not until page 123 he finally admits that it can indeed make sense, but
almost immediately after page 123, and following a handwavy dismissal of
Everett returns to irrationality, until page 130 when he introduces the
many-minds theory.  Strangely, he claims that he (Albert) and Barry Loewer
introduced the theory, with no mention of Heinz-Dieter Zeh.

While he defends many-minds well, and says how it recovers locality, he
never explains how many-minds is any better (or different than)
many-worlds.  Also, I found it strange that he considered many-minds and
Bohm on equal footing, where Bohm requires additional assumptions beyond
the four quantum postulates, and also Bohm (lacing locality) is
incompatible with special relativity.

Jason