On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 October 2013 16:18, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If the first person views/memories are not integrated, they are not
>> experienced by the Jupiter brain, only instantiated, and it learns nothing
>> of what it is like to *be* the beings it discovers.
>>

> Part of it does, surely? Like part of my PC is running Firefox, and that
> part, loosely speaking, knows what it's like to be FireFox...

This analogy doesn't quite work. The PC is to firefox as the laws of
physics are to your mins. The former enables the latter to run, but is not
itself the same. You would not say the laws of physics know what it is like
to be you, but you could say the laws of physics instantiate you.

Firefox knows what it is like to be Firefox, but other programs running on
the same computer won't know what it is like to be the others unless there
is some higher level integration and association between them.  I
understand this distinction is very subtle and difficult to communicate,
but I hope I have expressed some piece of the point I am trying to make.
Let me know if this is still unclear and I will try my best to explain it
further.

Jason