On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggested doing this on FOAR (I used HAL from 2001). It simply makes it
> easier to visualise if you forget about biological creatures. Assuming
> comp, an AI is exactly equivalent to a human person, so anything you can do
> to an AI could be done (in theory) to a human by a teleporter, or to a
> human by MWI style splitting.
>
> What should the AI expect to see? It should expect to see the ball turn
> red and remain red.

Should it expect (expect as in place a high probability on) that?  Only 1
of the 256 actually see that happen.  It is far more likely to see an
incompressible pattern.

> There are *copies *of it which see the ball go blue at various points...
>
> However this answer doesn't assume comp.

The existence of a conscious AI implicitly assumes comp (at least for some
types of observers, you could still like Craig argue that computers cannot
support *your* experience, only some limited class of experience).

> According to comp it doesn't know what "it" will see, or to be more exact
> it knows that "it" will see all combinations, but by that time it will no
> longer be an "it" but a "them". Technically - in this case - we know which
> ones are the copies and which ones aren't - however comp says that the AI
> will experience becoming many AIs, with varied experiences.

====================

I think we can all agree on this (LizR, Bruno, Clark, Chris, myself, etc.):

*If* the AI (or all of them) went through two tests, test A, and test B
A) The test described where the simulation process forks 8 times and 256
copies are created and they each see a different pattern of the ball
changing color
B) A test where the AI is not duplicated but instead a random number
generator (controlled entirely outside the simulation) determines whether
the ball changes to red or blue with 50% probability 8 times
*Then *the AI (or AIs) could not say whether test A occurred first or test
B occurred first.

===================

If you agree with this, that is sufficient to reach the main point of step
3, which is the two tests are subjectively indistinguishable. Expecting the
ball to change color at random (test B), and being iteratively duplicated
and seeing all possibilities in different instances (test A), are
absolutely indistinguishable from any point of view that exists inside the
simulation. No one inside the simulation can determine whether test A was
happening, or whether test B was happening.  It is a very simple point, and
I don't think anyone here would argue that an observer within the
simulation could distinguish between the two cases.

If you happen to disagree that an entity within the simulation could
distinguish between test A or test B (that is to say, that they could guess
whether test A or test B was happening with greater than a 50% probability)
then please state how that can be done.  Otherwise, you understand the
point of step 3 sufficiently to move on and there is no more need to argue
about pronouns, personal identity, which you you happen to be, etc.

If anyone does not provide an argument for how the AI, or AIs, (or any
observer or entity) within the simulation could distinguish these cases,
and continues to argue about pronouns, personal identity, etc., then I
think the only conclusion that remains is that such a person has little or
no interest in advancing their own or anyone else's understanding and is
simply being a troll.

The point is crystal clear and indisputable in this situation, it doesn't
matter how the AI is programmed: there is no way for any entity in the
simulation to distinguish between an inherently random process (test B)
from a wholly deterministic one (test A). If you think you know a way, then
please tell us how.  If you see no way, then you accept step 3, which is
that the appearance of subjective indeterminacy can arise in an objectively
deterministic processes.

(Note the above is not aimed at any person in particular. If anyone can
show where the reasoning is wrong, please do so.)

> In any case, although one copy is the original, that doesn't really help,
> because an AI, by its nature, is probably being constantly swapped into
> different parts of computer memory (or stored on disc), parts of it are
> being copied, other parts erased, and so on. Comp says none of this matters
> - that its experiences are at a fundamental level exactly like ours.
>
> So. What's wrong with this picture, if anything?

What do you mean by one copy is the original?  How can you distinguish an
original from a copy?

Jason