I am not wedded to unworkable ideas, all I maintain, is before we switch off
the dirty energy, we must be assured that the clean stuff produces enough watts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Nov 10, 2013 2:33 pm
Subject: RE: Our Demon-Haunted World

Who knows -- you may be interested in a Dutch idea to build an energy island in
the North sea by diking around an area of sea then using periods of surplus
wind power generation form the north sea offshore wind farms (of which there
are quite a few now) to pump water out from inside of the diked off area
lowering the water levels inside with respect to the sea level outside.
Creating a reservoir of pumped storage that could be drawn down when supplies
did not meet demand.
Large scale pumped storage is by far the largest form of electric energy
storage that currently exists and there are some interesting projects coming on
line now – such as the Eagle Crest project in the deserts of Southern
California which will provide 1300 MW of dispatchable power onto the grid and
which pairs perfectly with the wind and solar generation facilities that are
sited in that region.
Chris