Brent,

A more general approach than Wheeler's is to understand that all
participants in every event, even down to the particle level, are
effectively observers of that event.

I generalize Wheeler's statement in my book on Reality to explain how every
connected network of events essentially functions as a mini-reality
accessible only to event participants of their networks, and it is only
through networks connecting through common events that those mini-networks
become merged into sharable realities in which "events become real because
they become observable".

It's a very important concept that leads to very important conclusions
because it shows how GR and QM can be conceptually unified and all Quantum
paradox resolved. I explained all this in my New Topic post titled
something like "Yes, my book does address quantum reality" if you want to
read more.

Best,
Edgar