On 29 Dec 2013, at 20:51, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/29/2013 8:14 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> I use Platonism, where God == Truth.

I know what "truth" means as an attribute of a sentence. But I don't know what "Truth" means? The set of all true sentences...

Yes. With the condition that the set of sentence is sufficiently encompassing.

including "This sentence is not in the set of true sentences."?

Not that sentence cannot be included, because if "truth" is enough encompassing, it cannot be defined in the language of the machine. That is Tarski theorem, and that is what you are proving just now, by showing the paradox we would get if "Truth" was definable.

"When Herod asked Jesus what truth was, Jesus replied that truth was every word that proceeded from the mouth of God.

That is a good definition, if we remember that God has no name, and nobody (no-3p thing at all) can talk for Him/Her/It.

Perhaps he should have said that truth was a provisional reification of the most useful model." --- Anne O'Reilly

This cannot work, but can be a good approximation of "truth". basically, this is what we do for arithmetical, where we point on the standard model of arithmetic. It is not reifed, as everyone seems to have a good understanding of it, and "standard" is not part of the theory (only of the meta-theory). This difficulty will exist for any theory in which we can define natural numbers (or Löbian theory).

Bruno

So God is "my dog just took a dump".

> "God" is not that much a bad name.

It is a VERY bad name if someone sincerely wishes to avoid confusion and wants to use language honestly. Never mind what you write here at least be honest with yourself and ask "do I really want to avoid confusion?". Do I really want to use language honestly? If so then it would be better to say "it's true that my dog just took a dump".

  John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.