On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 12/31/2013 7:19 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>> That sounds a bit like multi-solipsism - and a bit like Kant (?)
>> indicating that we can never know the "thing in itself" only our
>> interpretation of it.
>>
>> (Actually isn't that also what comp says?)
>>

> I think that's what science has taught metaphysics.  We make up models
> that we can comprehend and it they are good at explaining things and
> predicting things and they are consilient with our other models then we
> provisionally adopt them, and that's the best we can do.

But Fuchs et al don't even adopt their model.  They say there is some
underlying system (model) that explains our experiences, but for some
reason deny there is any reality to that very model.

Jason

>  They may be right, be we can't know that.
>
> Brent
> "When Herod asked Jesus what truth was, Jesus replied that truth was every
> word that proceeded from the mouth of God. Perhaps he should have said that
> truth was a provisional reification of the most useful model."
>    --- Anne O'Reilly

I don't know where Anne O'Reilly gets that quote. It was Pilate that asked
"What is truth?" and Jesus made no reply.

Jason