Captured on film (so to speak) by virtue of an extremely large flashbulb,
and one that is 10 billion light years away to boot.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/12284/20140120/first-ever-univers
e-wide-cosmic-web-filaments-captured-on-keck-observatory.htm

First Ever Universe-Wide Cosmic Web Filaments Captured on Keck Observatory

Astronomers have discovered an extremely distant quasar, the most energetic
and brightest objects in the universe, illuminating a vast nebula of diffuse
gas, revealing for the first time part of the vast network of filaments
thought to form a universe-spanning cosmic spider web.

Using the 10-meter Keck I telescope at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii,
the researchers detected a very large, luminous nebula of gas extending
about 2 million light-years across intergalactic space, substantiating their
computer models and earlier observations.

"This is a very exceptional object: it's huge, at least twice as large as
any nebula detected before, and it extends well beyond the galactic
environment of the quasar," said Sebastiano Cantalupo, first author of the
paper published January 19 in the journal Nature and a postdoctoral fellow
at UC Santa Cruz.

The standard cosmological model of structure formation in the universe
predicts that galaxies are embedded in a cosmic web of matter, most of which
(about 84 percent) is invisible dark matter. This web is seen in the results
from computer simulations of the evolution of structure in the universe,
which show the distribution of dark matter on large scales, including the
dark matter halos in which galaxies form and the cosmic web of filaments
that connect them. Gravity causes ordinary matter to follow the distribution
of dark matter, so filaments of diffuse, ionized gas are expected to trace a
pattern similar to that seen in dark matter simulations.

Until now, these filaments have never been seen. Intergalactic gas has been
detected by its absorption of light from bright background sources, but
those results don't reveal how the gas is distributed. In this study, the
researchers detected the fluorescent glow of hydrogen gas resulting from its
illumination by intense radiation from the quasar.

"This quasar is illuminating diffuse gas on scales well beyond any we've
seen before, giving us the first picture of extended gas between galaxies,"
said J. Xavier Prochaska, coauthor and professor of astronomy and
astrophysics at UC Santa Cruz. "It provides a terrific insight into the
overall structure of our universe."

The hydrogen gas illuminated by the quasar emits ultraviolet light known as
Lyman alpha radiation. The distance to the quasar is so great (about 10
billion light-years) that the emitted light is "stretched" by the expansion
of the universe from an invisible ultraviolet wavelength to a visible shade
of violet by the time it reaches the Keck telescope and the LRIS (Low
Resolution Imaging Spectrometer) used for this discovery. Knowing the
distance to the quasar, the researchers calculated the wavelength for Lyman
alpha radiation from that distance and built a special filter for LRIS to
get an image at that wavelength.

"We have studied other quasars this way without detecting such extended
gas," Cantalupo said. "The light from the quasar is like a flashlight beam,
and in this case we were lucky that the flashlight is pointing toward the
nebula and making the gas glow. We think this is part of a filament that may
be even more extended than this, but we only see the part of the filament
that is illuminated by the beamed emission from the quasar."

A quasar is a type of active galactic nucleus that emits intense radiation