On Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:48:04 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On 2 February 2014 08:41, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> There can be no zombies if consciousness is epiphenomenal.
> >

> > Just to be sure, I agree with that.
> >
> > I asked "why?" because I was thinking at the meta-level.
> >
> > The problem, is that if we can conceive that consciousness is
> epiphenomenal,
> > we can conceive that consciousness does not exist.
> >
> > That is why I am afraid that epiphenomenalism makes a step toward the
> > elimination of the person.
> >
> > With comp we can eliminate or own person or ego, but that's the kind of
> > thing which needs our own personal consent.
>
> Another way to look at it is that if consciousness is epiphenomenal
> then it necessarily exists.
>
> >> Equivalently, if consciousness is epiphenomenal we could say it does
> >> not really exist and we are all zombies; but I think that's just
> >> semantics, and misleading.
> >

> > As I said, that's eliminativism.
> >
> > Now tell me, is it a crime to torture a p-zombie?
> >
> > I know a three years kids who broke a doll purposefully. Should we send
> the
> > kid in jail? In an asylum?
> >
> > Consciousness is not epiphenomenal, even if the brain might have
> arbitrary
> > choices in some of the way to sum up big chunks of informations
> available
> > for the person in act.
> >
> > Consciousness might better be seen as phenomenal, 1p. It depends on
> truth,
> > self, and relative consistency.
>
> If the dolls lack consciousness then it is not a crime to torture
> them. Whether the consciousness is epiphenomenal or not is irrelevant.

There is potentially an argument that torturing anything, even fictionally,
could have negative consequences over time. it could conceivably build a
tolerance for sadism and cruelty, both neurologically and culturally. The
suppression of fictional torture could have negative consequences too
though.