On 31 January 2014 04:19, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> I don't think there is a problem if consciousness is an epiphenomenon.
>

> Is it not that very idea which leads to the notion of zombie?
> If consciousness is an epiphenomenon, eliminating it would change nothing in
> the 3p.

There can be no zombies if consciousness is epiphenomenal.
Equivalently, if consciousness is epiphenomenal we could say it does
not really exist and we are all zombies; but I think that's just
semantics, and misleading.

>> If you start looking for consciousness being an extra thing with
>> (perhaps) its own separate causal efficacy, that's where problems
>> arise.
>

> Dualism is a problem. Making consciousness epiphenomenal is not satisfying,
> and basically contradicted in the everyday life. It is because pain is
> unpleasant that we take anesthetic medicine.
>
> The brain is obliged to "lie" at some (uncknown, crypted) level, not for
> consciousness (that it filters), but for pain and joy. That's normal. If you
> run toward the lion mouth, you lower the probability of surviving.
>
> Epiphenomenalism does not eliminate consciousness, but it still eliminate
> conscience and persons.

I don't think it diminishes the significance of consciousness, but
maybe I just look at it differently.

> With comp I think we avoid it, even if the solution will appear to be very
> Platonist, as truth, beauty, and universal values (mostly unknown) will be
> more "real" than their local terrestrial approximations through primitively
> physical brains and other interacting molecules like galaxies foam.
>
> Bruno
>

>> --
>> Stathis Papaioannou
>>

>> --