On 02 Feb 2014, at 19:59, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:36:46 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 01 Feb 2014, at 21:12, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 2:16:43 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 01 Feb 2014, at 13:13, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:54:47 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 31 Jan 2014, at 21:39, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> Is there any instance in which a computation is employed in which no > program or data is input and from which no data is expected as output?

The UD.

Isn't everything output from the UD?

No. The UD has no output. It is a non stopping program. "everything physical and theological" appears through its intensional activity.

"Appears" = output.

"Appears to me" appears more like input to me. Output of of some universe?

Input/output, like hardware/software are important distinction, but yet they are relative. My output to you is your input, for example. They are indexicals too.

Sure, but they are absolute within a given frame of reference.

That's my point.

It seemed like the point you were making is that appearances were inputs rather than outputs so it would agree with what you were saying earlier about the UD not having any outputs. I was making the point that in order for anything to have an input in a universe where the UD is calling the shots, then the UD has to be outputting computations to then non-UD (which receives them as inputs).

Why?

The larger point though is that input and output themselves (which I see as the sensory motive primitive that information exists *within*) is overlooked and taken for granted in comp.

The input output relations are simulated within the activity of the UD. As I said the UD itself has no input and no outputs.

You cannot write a program which bypasses the need for inputs and outputs by substituting them for a different kind of function. It goes back to what I keep saying about not being able to substitute software for a cell phone charger or a video monitor, or the difference between playing a sport and playing a game which simulates a sport.

But then you are the one making an absolute difference here, which contradicts you point above.

The difference is absolute when we are talking about the primordial case. The magnetic North pole of the compass actually points to the South pole of Earth's magnetic field, but if we are talking about the magnetic field, we do not say that the difference between North and South pole is relative. That's all academic though, my point was that Comp does not recognize its own North and South pole, which is part of why it cannot see that it is only an object within sense which reflects it rather than the source of sense.

That is far to vague.

In fact it uses an intensional Church thesis. Not only all universal machines can compute all computable functions, but they can all compute them in all the possible ways to compute them. The intensional CT can be derived from the usual extensional CT. Universal machines computes all functions, but also in all the same and infinitely many ways.

How do we know they compute anything unless we input their output?

Oh! It is a bit perverse to input the output, but of course that's what we do when we combine two machines to get a new one. Like getting a NAND gate from a NOT and a AND gates.

We can also input to a machine its own input, which is even more perverse, and usually this leads to interesting "fixed points", many simple iterations leads to chaos. The Mandelbrot set illustrates this.

But the point is that we don't have to feed the program at the bottom level, if you can imagine that 17 is prime independently of you, then arithmetic feeds all programs all by itself, independently of you.

This is not entirely obvious, and rather tedious and long to prove but follows from elementary computer science.

The arithmetic truth of 17 being prime doesn't do anything though. That fact needs to be used in the context of some processing of an input to produce an output.

So you refer to extrinsic processing, but that contradicts your (correct) phenomenological account of sense,

I'm not talking about my view of sense, I'm talking about my understanding of your view of the UD, arithmetic truth, and comp (which are not a part of my view at all).

You can't criticize a theory by using another theory. That is called begging a question.

and that jeopardize the possibility their primitiveness, or as David shown, you are back to the POPJ.

In my view, all of arithmetic and processing is subordinate to the sensory-motive primitive (the silhouette of which could be translated as I/O in information-theoretic terms).

That is a reiteration of your view, not a critic of another view.

To me, everything is intrinsic, and extrinsicity is a perceptual contraction.

You know that this is a consequence of comp, concerning the physical reality. But we have still an extrinsic general conception of the ontological reality (like arithmetic). Without it, your position is a form of solipsism, and of abandon of the idea of searching an explanation for sense.

I don't get why POPJ would apply to MSR at all, it seems to me just a criticism (and a valid one) of functionalism and dualism. I use PIP which is a Tesselated or Ouroboran Monism.

It does no work if your theory can justify the appearance of the extrinsic. But you are unclear about this, and I'm afraid you have to be unclear, because by starting from sense, you start from something which is notoriously unclear. Then in some posts you continue to talk like if a physical universe exists. What is PIP? Comp is OK with Ouroboran Monism. After Gödel arithmetic instantiates clearly many form of such type of monism.

Craig

Bruno

Craig

Bruno

Craig

> This would suggest that computation can only be defined as a
> meaningful product in a non-comp environment, otherwise there would > be no inputting and outputting, only instantaneous results within a
> Platonic ocean of arithmetic truth.

A computation of a program without input can simulate different
programs having many inputs relative to other programs or divine (non-
machines) things living in arithmetic

How does the program itself get to be a program without being input?

OK. Good question.

The answer is that the TOE has to choose an initial universal system. I use arithmetic (RA).

Then all programs or number are natural inputs of the (tiny) arithmetical truth which emulates them.

You need to understand that a tiny part of arithmetic defines all partial computable relations. The quintessence of this is already in Gödel 1931.

> Where do we find input and output within arithmetic though?

It is not obvious, but the sigma_1 arithmetical relation emulates all
computations, with all sort of relative inputs.

It seems to me though, and this is why I posted this thread, that i/o is taken for granted and has no real explanation of what it is in mathematical terms.

It is the argument of the functions in the functional relations.

If phi_i(j) = k then RA can prove that there is a number i which applied to j will give k, relatively to some universal u, (and this "trivially" relatively to arithmetic).

> What makes it happen without invoking a physical or experiential
> context?

Truth. The necessary one, and the contingent one.

Does truth make things happen?

Yes. truth('p') -> p.
If "Obama is president" is true, then Obama is president.

> As an aside, its interesting to play with the idea of building a
> view of computation from a sensory-motive perspective. When we use a
> computer to automate mental tasks it could be said that we are
> 'unputting' the effort that would have been required otherwise. When > we use a machine to emulate our own presence in our absence, such as
> a Facebook profile, we are "onputting" ourselves in some digital
> context.

The brain does that a lot. Nature does that a lot. Ah! The natural
numbers does that I lot.

There doesn't seem to be a clear sense of what it means for numbers to exert effort.

Of course I was speaking loosely, to avoid too much long sentences. It is not the number which makes the effort, but the person emulated by the number relations which makes the effort. Think about the number relation which emulates the Milky way (by computing the evolution of its Heisenberg matrix, with 10^1000 exact decimal, at the subplack level. Of course that is already a toy mulit-galaxies. It owns a Craig doing the effort to read this post, and omp prevents that you can distinguish your self from that one. the effort are the same. (Of course with non-comp, you can made him into a zombie).

If, as you say, truth itself makes things happen, then it would seem that effort is an incoherent concept.

My poor car followed the schroedinger equation without effort, but at a higher level, it tooks her a lot of effort to climb some steep roads. Well, she died through such effort, actually.

Numbers have no reason to make other numbers do their work, as they don't seem to have any basis to distinguish work from play.

Sigma_1 arithmetic, alias the UD, emulates all possible interactions between all possible universal machines. All sorts of interactions are emulated, but with different relative probabilities, and that depends locally partially on them.

Computers will evolve in two ways: users' self extensions, like a neo- neo-cortex (+GSM, GPS, glasses, etc), which is a semi-delegation, and
the total delegation (the friendly, and not friendly, AIs).

Those are ways that our use of computers will evolve. I don't see that computers have any desire to extend themselves or to delegate their work.

All universal machine are incomplete. Of course "desire" is a high level feature which requires probably deep computations, but that desire is a logical consequence of the basic frustration of any machine when she grasps the difference between what she can obtained, and what she can dream about.

Bruno

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-li...@googlegroups.com.