On 09 Feb 2014, at 19:27, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> What is inconsistent with the definition of 3p and 1p?
3p = the content of the diary of the guy which observes the teleportation experience.

So 3p is the stuff that I see and 1p is the stuff you see. But the words "I" and "you" can be and ofter are reversed leading to contradictory definitions; as I said originally it is not at all clear what "p" means.

What is unclear. Those are infinitely complex notion, so we proceed semi-axiomatically (in UDA), we don't need to be more precise than what is needed to go forward in the reasoning.

> 1p = the content of the diary of the guy who enter actually the teleportation box.

And what is the unique consistent definition of " the 1p" after the duplication has been performed?

For the guy in M, it is the the content of the diary, and so it is is bet in "Helsinki" followed by the result he got when opening the door. For the guy in W, it is the same definition, but obviously, the content is different.

The 1p is not unique in the 3-1 view, but is unique in all 1p view.

In the iterated duplication, the 3_1 view is the set of 1-views, each characterized by a sequence of W and M in their personsal diary.

I don't see any problem.

>> if you believe that and if you are a logical person then you must also believe that the Turing Test can detect consciousness too and not just intelligence.

> That does not follow.

Like hell it doesn't! Evolution can't see anything that the Turing Test can't, both only deal in observable behavior. Evolution didn't know or care if Homo habilis was conscious of the Saber Toothed Tiger in the bushes nor did it care if it intended to survive its attack or not, it only cared if it did or didn't, it only cared if it lived long enough to have offspring or if it didn't.

Evolution don't care even of that. But it works through that, and so might care on consciousness as it can help the predator and the prey is their respective goal and motivation. Consciousness is related to an instinctive bet in some reality, accompanies by a persistent confirmation iteration related to the sense, or more generally the output of the cerebral stem. Consciousness is needed for making sense of pleasant and unpleasant, and accelerate the speed of the anticipation.

We cannot detect it, nor can be detect intelligence. We can detect competence, relatively to a domain. Intelligence and consciousness are logical descendent of consistency, and for machine as complex as ourself we can't detect consistency either.

> In fact if there were an effective criteria for consciousness, it would be simple to build a zombie satisfying that criteria.

If intelligent zombies could be built then Evolution would have built them and never bothered with consciousness, but in my case it most certainly did produce consciousness and perhaps in your case too; therefore the only logical conclusion to make is that consciousness is a inevitable byproduct of intelligence.

I can agree with that. Even a product of life, but it has its role at some level, and it exists in arithmetical at the start. The evolution and the physics behind are universal numbers bet on local (above the substitution level) and global (below substitution) universal neighbors.

The only way to avoid this conclusion is if Darwin was wrong. I don't think Darwin was wrong. I don't thing the Earth is flat either.

I have no problem with Darwin.

Comp extends Darwin on the physical laws. The 1p selects them in a sort of competition between all universal numbers. Here consciousness has some role too, but most of it can be explained by 3p self-reference.

To get this, though, you need steps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

> What can happen is that the behavior of some conscious being can be such that living long enough with a conscious creature, in some reach of your emotion spectrum, you can develop empathy.

That's too vague, you need to explain how that could "develop" and Darwin can.

I have no problem with that. It is the spirit of comp, and molecular biology can be said to have confirmed this. That's was my starting point.

Because of random variation some animals have more empathy than others, empathy changes behavior and it could be that those with more empathy have more reproductive success, if so then the gene or genes for empathy would become more common in the gene pool. But none of this could work if the feeling of empathy didn't change behavior because just like the Turing Test all Evolution can see is behavior.

No problem.

>> Apparently you think the distinction between Evolution producing consciousness and Evolution "just" (JUST?!!) making consciousness possible is important. I do not.

> The distinction is that in one case evolution somehow produce or create consciousness, and in the second case, evoulition does not create consciousness, but creates the condition of some possible manifestation of it.

Apparently you think the distinction between Evolution creating consciousness and Evolution creating " the condition of some possible manifestation of it" is important. I do not.

But you have to if you accept comp, as you do. or you need to find a flaw in the UDA. (Not just faking a confusion between 1p and 3p notion before finishing the thought experience).

You need to put some magic in matter to prevent the universal numbers to confuse a reifed physical reality from the one arising from the FPI on arithmetic.

> If you assume comp [blah blah]

I don't.

Of course you do. You have no problem with step 0, 1, 2. You just stop at step 3, for reason which have convinced nobody.

Bruno

  John K Clark