On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 February 2014 06:55, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Jesse,
>>
>> See my proximate response to Liz who asked the same question. Basically
>> relativity theory gives you the equations for both frames for any
>> relativistic situation. So all you have to do is do the calculations like
>> I've explained to you with nearly a dozen examples.
>>
>> That doesn't work, I'm afraid, which is why we both asked the question.
> Originally you said "you can stop the experiment at any point..." (and
> check the clocks of the observers). That implies you mean a *point in
> time* - and a point in time which will be simultaneous for all observers.
> Hence if you are working within relativity theory you must be referring to
> a hyperplane of simultaneity.
>
> So our question remains unanswered.

Edgar has also said that if some observers start out with clocks
synchronized at a single point in space and time and then move inertially
away from one another, he thinks their clocks remain synchronized in
p-time. He may not have thought about it in these terms, but this would
actually imply a hypersurface of simultaneity shaped like a hyperbola, not
like a flat hyperplane, as illustrated in this spacetime diagram showing
the surface where different worldlines emanating from a common origin have
each aged by 1 unit of elapsed proper time since departing from one another:

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/spacetime/spacetime_Minkowski_detail.png

The diagram is from the very bottom of the page at
http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/spacetime/ which
is a good discussion of spacetime geometry overall.

Jesse