Russell, and Liz,

Depends on what we mean by "an objective physical reality". Actually an
external objective reality is one of the several most convincing arguments
FOR a computational reality.

An external reality, as opposed to the internal realities of our individual
simulations of that reality leads directly to the conclusion that that
external reality IS a computational reality.

The way this works is that the best way to determine what external reality
is is simply to progressively subtract everything that the human mind adds
to it in its simulation of it. When we do this we find that all that is
left IS a computational reality, just evolving logico-mathematical
information.

In my book I present a couple dozen things that mind adds to external
reality in its simulation of it, and what is left after we subtract them.

We imagine external reality as the familiar classical level physical
dimensional world populated by things of our ordinary experience. But this
is completely wrong.

For example, external reality itself has no position or location, no
orientation, no size, no innate proper time scale, no motion, because these
are all necessarily relative to some observer. So without an observer
reality itself has none of these attributes. Reality itself is nowhere, in
no place, has no position, no orientation, no relative motion, no innate
time scale.

Also external reality itself contains no images of any thing, because its
light is unfocused without the lenses of the eyes of some observer. So
reality itself contains no images of things. If we imagine it having them
we are wrong.

Also reality itself doesn't even contain individual things. Reality itself
is a continuous computational information nexus. The whole notion of a
thing is something constructed by mind by piecing together different types
of qualia that tend to occur in association. Robotic AI clearly
demonstrates this complex process...

And the whole notion of physical objects is a mental phenomenon. Physical
objects in the sense of individual things having colors, textures,
feelings, etc. exist only in mind's simulation of reality, not in reality
itself. These are all information about how observers INTERACT with various
logical structures in the external world.

The list goes on and on. I can present more if anyone likes.

Anyway when we subtract all these things that mind adds to reality in its
internal simulation of it, we find that all that is left of actual reality
is a logico-mathematical structure consisting only of computationally
evolving information.

So the reality we actually live in is not at all the reality we think we
live in. The reality we think we live in, the classical material
dimensional world, is entirely a construction of mind, EXCEPT for snippets
of logical structure extracted from the true external reality, which is a
logico-mathematical computational structure.

It is only these logical structures that exist in external reality. When we
function in reality, we are just acting to some degree in logical
consistency with these external logical structures.

So it is the very concept of an external reality, understood in this light,
that directly LEADS us to the inevitable conclusion of a computational
reality.

Thus the notion of an external reality IS consistent with it being a
computational reality, because it leads directly to it.

Edgar