On 19 February 2014 14:17, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

You're talking about the special case of human experience, human bodies,
> etc. I'm talking about the ontology of the nature of any possible awareness
> in any possible universe.

I'm not really sure what distinction you're trying to draw here. The
dictionary tells us that ontology is the study of the categories of being
and existence. We must assume that since there is awareness it must inhere,
in some sense, in whatever exists, but that alone doesn't take us very far.
Since not everything that exists makes any claim to be aware the
interesting part is trying to elucidate the specific conditions that
differentiate the presence of such claims from their absence.

A computational theory is a variety of idealism whose natural ontological
homeland is Platonia. One can say that its specific ontological category is
arithmetical, but this means only that the platonic existence of arithmetic
suffices for a model of computation. That said, the specific conditions
that differentiate claims of awareness from their absence will be
epistemological rather than ontological, which is to say that they will
require a theory of knowledge. Computational theory leads to a repertoire
of logics which (so far) seem capable of supporting the necessary
epistemological distinctions with all their accompanying modal complexities.

If CTM is true, then all the foregoing is also true in the necessary sense
(i.e. platonically). Consequently, rejecting it on the basis that numbers
aren't real, or that computation can't differentiate awareness from its
absence, amounts to a rejection of Platonism. Such rejection implies the
Aristotelian view that awareness and its artefacts (such as numbers)
supervene, in some unspecified and rather more problematical way, on
primordial stuff that cannot be further explained. But your theory requires
that this primordial stuff be sensory and so, as I argue above, amounts to
the claim that sense or awareness properly inhere in whatever exists. So we
can grant this and the difficult part still remains: what conditions
differentiate specific claims of sensory awareness from the absence of such
claims? Given that challenge, I frankly still don't see why you would
reject computational theory as an attractive candidate for that role.

David