Hi Liz

>> I can't see why the MWI's existing explanation of probability needs to have
>> anything added.

I can't see that MWI has an explanation of probability.

>>Probability in the MWI is deduced from the results of measurements by an
>>experimenter. Effectively, if they assume that they inhabit a non-branching
>>universe, they will regard the proportion of times a measurement comes out
>>one way (spin up say) as the probability of that result occurring. If they
>>assume an MWI perspective, however, the probabilty of that outcome is a
>>measure of the proportion of experimenters who will be found in the spin-up
>>branch.

Is there something wrong with that?

It doesn't really address the issue. It doesn't address the question 'what can
I expect to see'. Of course, I can say this set of future mes will inhabit a
spin up branch and this set of future mes will inhabit a spin down branch. So,
this proportion of future mes will see spin up and this portion will see spin
down.

Asked what I (present me) can expect to see: well I can expect to see spin up
and spin down.... Asked to assign a probability to seeing either result I
assign 1 to both.

Theirs is a method of calculating frequencies of me seeing ups and downs but
not probabilities of seeing up or down.

All the best

Chris.

Since Everett there have been numerous attempts to smuggle an account of
probability back into the theory, and more recent attempts: Deutsch, Wallace,
Greaves etc., do that by abandoning the concept of subjective uncertainty
altogether and replacing it with some kind of rational action principle. In
otherwords, you can expect to see spin up and spin down, but you should act as
if there was some objective bias towards one or the other. The approach comes
complete with its own set of philosophical problems.