On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> No, it was you that said there was NO correlation.

Jeez Edgar, you really need to work on your reading comprehension. I just
got through AGREEING that I had said that there wasn't a correlation, but I
explained that this was because I was using "correlation" in the way YOU
had consistently been using it up until now, to refer to a 1:1 correlation
in which each proper age of a twin is matched up to one unique proper age
of the other twin. The archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list@googlegroups.com/ has a better
search function than google's archive (returning individual posts rather
than threads), so I searched for posts from Edgar L. Owen with "correlate"
or "correlation" in them, results here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/search?a=1&l=everything-list%40googlegroups.com&haswords=correlate&from=Edgar+L.+Owen&notwords=&subject=&datewithin=1d&date=&order=datenewest&search=Search

http://www.mail-archive.com/search?a=1&l=everything-list%40googlegroups.com&haswords=correlation&from=Edgar+L.+Owen&notwords=&subject=&datewithin=1d&date=&order=datenewest&search=Search

Earliest posts on the "block time" thread I could find in these searches
(that were directed at me, and not some other poster) were these from Feb.
12 and 13 (shown in order below), where you can see from the quotes that
you were talking specifically about 1:1 correlations that map clock times
of one to specific clock times of the other:

http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list%40googlegroups.com/msg48613.html

"So all observers are always in the same p-time moment. Now it's just a
matter of correlating their clock times to see which clock times occurred
in any particular current moment of p-time."

http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list%40googlegroups.com/msg48716.html

"Do you see how this mutual agreed on understanding of how each's clock
time varies in the other's frame always allows each to correlate their own
comoving clock time with the comoving (own) clock time of the other? In
other words for A to always know what B's clock time was reading when A's
clock time was reading t, and for B to always know what A's clock time was
reading when B's clock time was reading t'?"

http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list%40googlegroups.com/msg48750.html

"Do you understand that if we have equations for t' in terms of t in A's
frame, and t in terms of t' in B's frame, that we can always establish a 1:
1 correlation between t in A's frame and t' in B's frame?"

And in subsequent posts I'm pretty sure you always used correlation in the
same manner, repeating the phrase "1:1 correlation" many times (you may
have gotten this phrase from ghibbsa, who used it in a Feb. 6 post at
http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list%40googlegroups.com/msg48264.htmlthat
you quoted in one of your posts that came up in the search results). A
similar search for posts by me that use "correlate" or "correlation"
doesn't show any posts of mine using these words on the thread prior to
your three posts to me above, and subsequently I always used "correlation"
in the same sense that YOU had been consistently using it, to refer to a
precise 1:1 correlation in ages/proper times.

> In any case that's irrelevant if we know you now accept that there is a
> very LARGE correlation in most situations, and a definable correlation in
> ALL situations. That there is always SOME correlation.
>
> By actual age changing effect I mean proper accelerations and gravitations
> measurable by a comoving scale at specific clock tick events on his proper
> clock. There is no doubt these are real actual CAUSES with specific
> measurable values that thus must have real actual EFFECTS with specific
> actual values. So you are now saying "that all frames DO preserve these
> effects"?

What "EFFECTS" do you think they cause? Can you name a SPECIFIC effect on a
SPECIFIC variable used in relativity? As I've told you before, if you are
talking about some notion of a "change in clock rate", then in relativity
there is no frame-independent way to assign a "specific actual value" to
the concept of a "clock rate", the clock rate can only be defined relative
to a particular coordinate system, so the "clock rate" at a particular
event on the clock's worldline can have DIFFERENT values depending on what
coordinate system you use. So, if this is in fact what you mean by
"effects", then I would DENY that proper accelerations "have real actual
EFFECTS with specific actual values". If you mean something else by "real
actual EFFECTS", you'll have to name the specific effect or your argument
will be hopelessly vague.

> Your 4 point representation of my method MAY BE circular, but my actual
> method is NOT circular.
>
> Your statement 1. is an incorrect statement of my theory. What I assume
> FIRST in the symmetric case is NOT simultaneity of ages but simultaneity of
> the AGE CHANGING EFFECTS that relativity itself identifies, namely
> acceleration and gravitation.

Not clear what you mean by that. Do you mean you ASSUME FROM THE START that
if two twins have the same proper acceleration as a function of proper
time, then identical values of the proper acceleration are "simultaneous"
in some absolute sense? (so for example, if the twins initially accelerate
to build up speed in opposite directions, then coast for a while, then
accelerate to turn around and eventually reunite, you'd be assuming that
the moments that each one began to accelerate to turn around after the
coasting phase would be simultaneous in absolute terms) If so this is
certainly not assumed in relativity, this would just be a different case of
you STARTING with an assumption about absolute simultaneity that you have
no rational justification for in terms of any more basic premises, so even
another presentist could reasonably disagree with you.

> And in the general case the ages are NOT simultaneous nor are the age
> changing effects, yet my method still works. Would you claim that in the
> NON-symmetric case I start by assuming that NON-identical ages are NOT
> simultaneous. No, of course not, so your statement 1. does NOT represent an
> assumption my theory makes.
>
> I've defined this before but here it is again. The frame in which the
> accelerations are symmetric is a frame in which the same proper
> accelerations of BOTH twins occur at the same proper ages of both twins

"the same proper accelerations of BOTH twins occur at the same proper ages
of both twins" is something that is true in ALL frames, so this statement
is completely irrelevant to your definition of the frame you are using.

> AND in which the proper ages of both twins have the same t value in that
> symmetry preserving frame.

There is indeed only one frame where this is true, but you give no rational
justification for the idea that this frame's judgments about simultaneity
are more valid in absolute or "actual" terms than any other frame's.

> They have the same t value because the twins exchanged flight plans and
> agreed they would

The fact that they "exchanged flight plans" is also irrelevant, since when
they made plans they could just as easily have agreed to use a different
frame where identical proper accelerations would NOT have the same t value.
So this sentence should be reduced to "They have the same t value because
the twins agreed they would", which makes it more obvious that their
agreement is merely a matter of settling on the same CONVENTION, not
evidence that same proper accelerations having the same t-value is some
inviolable absolute truth about reality.

> , and we know that their proper clocks MUST run at the same rates under
> the same accelerations at the same proper times.

Again, clock "rates" are inherently frame-dependent in relativity, so this
is true only if we CHOOSE to use the frame where identical proper
accelerations happen at the same t value; according to relativity it would
be just as valid physically to choose a different frame where identical
proper accelerations do not happen at the same t value, and in this frame
their proper clocks would NOT run at the same rates at the same proper
times (since clock rates depend only on speed, and they wouldn't have
identical speeds at the same proper time in this frame).

> Therefore we must choose a frame that reflects that agreed upon symmetry.

"Therefore" is another non sequitur. Nothing is forcing you to choose that
frame in relativity, or selecting it out as a more valid representation of
"reality" than any other frame; you just find this frame more aesthetically
pleasing, that's all.

> To address your two pair moving relative to each other example if A's
> proper time comes out both 0 and 20 at the same point in spacetime that
> sounds like a falsification.
>
> Let me paraphrase it for clarity in terms of a pair of observers A and B,
> and another pair C and D.

If you wish. I will translate Alice and Bob to A and B, and Arlene and Bart
to B and C.

> If I understand it correctly A and B have the same proper ages, are at
> rest with respect to each other but separated in space.

Yes, with the qualification that they have "the same proper ages" according
to the definition of simultaneity in their own rest frame, in C and D's
rest frame their ages would be different at any given moment.

> And C and D have the same proper ages, are at rest with respect to each
> other but also separated in space.

Yes, with the same qualification that they have the "same proper ages" only
in their own rest frame, not in A and B's frame. In my numerical example I
described all the frame-dependent values using A and B's frame, and in this
frame C and D's clock are out-of-sync by 12 years at any given moment (I
can show that this follows from the fact that they are synchronized in the
C/D rest frame using the Lorentz transformation, if you wish).

> However B and C are initially at the SAME position in space as the pairs
> move past each other.

Well, in my example I had Alice and Arlene initially at the same position
in space, so I guess this would mean you'd be using B to refer to Alice and
A to refer to Bob, which could be slightly confusing when looking back and
forth between the examples, but I'm fine with doing it that way.

> A's and B's proper ages are simultaneous in p-time because they are
> simultaneous in the A/B rest frame.
>
> C's and D's proper ages are simultaneous in p-time because they are
> simultaneous in the C/D rest frame.
>
> B's and C's proper ages are simultaneous in p-time because they are at the
> same place in spacetime.

Whatever their proper ages AT THAT POINT IN SPACETIME, those two ages are
simultaneous.

> NO. for that to be true we have to assume that B's and C's proper ages
> were INITIALLY THE SAME AND THERE WAS NO SUBSEQUENT PROPER ACCELERATION OR
> GRAVITATIONAL DIFFERENCES.
>

> The simple fact that B and C are at the same point in spacetime DOES NOT
> require their proper ages to be the same. Obviously not since the twins in
> general are at DIFFERENT proper ages when they meet at the same point in
> spacetime. How could you believe differently?

Once again you are conflating different possible meanings of
vaguely-defined phrases. "B's and C's proper ages are simultaneous in
p-time because they are at the same place in spacetime" could mean two very
different things:

1. If B's proper age at this point in spacetime in T, then C's proper age
at this point in spacetime must be T as well (i.e. their proper ages are
"simultaneous" in the sense that they must reach the same age
simultaneously).

2. If B and C's worldlines both pass through a specific point in spacetime
P, and B's age is T1 when she passes through P, while C's age is T2 when
she passes through P, then B must be at age T1 simultaneously with C being
at age T2 (i.e. whatever two specific ages they have at P, they must reach
those two ages simultaneously, even if the two ages are different)

You seem to be using the phrase to mean #1, and arguing against it based on
the fact that twins can be different ages when they meet at the same point
in spacetime, but I never claimed anything like #1, my own claim is
represented by #2.

If it helps, I can give the position as a function of coordinate time x(t)
AND proper time as a function of coordinate time T(t) for all three
observers A, B, C and D in this example (with the understanding that A
stands Bob in my original writeup, B stands for Alice, C stands for Arlene
and D stands for Bart):

For A: x(t) = 25, T(t) = t
For B: x(t) = 0, T(t) = t
For C: x(t) = 0.8c * t, T(t) = 0.6*t
For D: x(t) = [0.8c * t] + 9, T(t) = 0.6*t - 12

Using my statement #2 above, you can verify that "B and C's worldlines both
pass through a specific point in spacetime P", namely the point given by
x=0 and t=0. At t=0, B is at position x(0) = 0, and C is at position
x(0)=0.8c*0 = 0, so this shows that they both pass through x=0, t=0. And it
so happens that they both have a proper time T(0) = 0 at this point.
However, I have certainly not made a GENERAL RULE that observers at the
same point in spacetime must have the same proper time, you can see this
just by looking at A and D, whose worldlines both pass through the point
x=25, t=20. At this point A has an age T(20)=20, but D has an age
T(20)=0.6*20 - 12 = 0. All I am claiming is that since they reach these two
different proper times at exactly the same x and t coordinates in the
inertial frame I'm using, this is sufficient to show that A's clock reaches
a proper time of 20 simultaneously in p-time with D's clock reaching a
proper time of 0. Do you disagree?

Jesse