On 2 April 2014 14:13, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 4/1/2014 4:20 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 2 April 2014 12:10, Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>      Why has LFTR development essentially stopped for forty years?
>>
>>        Apparently they can't be used to make bombs.
>

> That was part of the reason.  But the story is that when Hyman Rickover
> was put in charge of the atomic submarine program he went to Oak Ridge to
> be briefed on the thorium power reactor that was there.  He was famously
> abrasive and he started telling the director Alvin Weinberg how to run the
> reactor research and Weinberg had him thrown out of the lab.  Rickover then
> turned to Westinghouse who would take orders from whoever supplied the
> money.  Westinghouse had a LWR design and that then became the de facto
> standard.

Either way, it doesn't look like there's anything intrinsically wrong with
thorium reactors, and quite a few points in their favour - but once a lot
of effort has been sunk into getting one method of power generation up and
running, people are naturally reluctant to start again from scratch (or
nearly so), and possibly have to pay similar up-front costs to get a new
design working. (I believe something similar is supposed to have happened
with the internal combustion engine using petrol rather than alcohol (I
think it was) - or is that an urban myth?)