On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:31:46 PM UTC+1, John Clark wrote:

> Yes but in general making plans to solve problems that won't show up for
>> more than 15 years usually turns into a farce, it does so for 2 reasons:
>>
>> 1) The problem you foresee has little relation to the problem you
>> eventually end up facing.
>> 2) Do to advancing technology the solution you propose has rapidly become
>> ridiculous.
>>

> This is often true of human scale problems, but I can't see it necessarily
applies to global ones. It's possible some breakthrough like nuclear fusion
or nanotechnology will render proposed solutions to climate change
obsolete, but I wouldn't bet my life on anyone developing either of those
within 15 years. And in the meantime glaciers, permafrost and
arctic/antarctic ice continue to melt, and the amount of CO2 and CH4 in the
atmosphere continues to rise, and every year the problem becomes that much
less tractable.

Putting your faith in yet to be developed technology may conceivably work
for some things (examples please?) but for fixing something that's wrong
with the biosphere it seems just a little over-optimistic.