From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:32 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Graham Hancock on The Plant Teachers (Banned TED Talk)

On 4/15/2014 3:19 PM, LizR wrote:

On 16 April 2014 09:42, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

What cultural ideas would those be?  Get out of Viet Nam?  Civil rights for
blacks?  The pill?

Plus (off the top of my head (man)) - sexual freedom and equality, the
anti-establishment vibe seen in Occupy, Wikileaks etc, freedom of expression, a
raft of artistic ideas too wide for this margin to contain...

I can see attributing some artistic ideas to the psychedelics, but I think the
anti-establishment vibe came from the Viet Nam war and sexual freedom came from
the pill. Ideals of equality drove the civil rights movement and its natural
extension was to equal rights for women.

>>I don't see any useful insights as having come from psychedelics.  Sure,
>>their effect is interesting from a neurophysiological standpoint - but so are
>>brain lesions.

One can argue, in fact I am doing so – grin – that it is  a case of the sum
being more than the  parts.

On one level, certainly, it is a neuro-active-chemical experience, but on
another the experience (however it is induced) leads to the kindling within of
a kind of 3p bird’s eye view on the self – re-joined into a much vaster cosmic
web – and that emerges within the self – or can emerge where conditions for
such emergence exist.

It is this emergent awareness, not so much the various psychedelic drugs
themselves that were, are, can be the agents that  triggered awareness to trip
over into the altered state of consciousness that is the more interesting
phenomena of psychedelic experience.

Once transcendent awareness emerges it can, on occasion, take root on its own,
without the need for doorways to become chemically opened.

Chris