*Brent(?) wrote*:
No I never read that, but hell yeah, MWI worries me! Doesn't it worry you?
I mean I know at one level that in a very real sense it doesn't matter
whether it's true or not, since the other universes can never affect me,
but at another the reality that everything happens to me that I can imagine
is just plain terrifying. And the 'me' isn't just the versions of me that
are still called by my name, I can't escape the conclusion that I am
everyone and everyone is me and that *everyone's* experience is my
experience at some level. If MWI ever does become the accepted conception
of reality, we have a huge amount of philosophical reorientation ahead of
us. For instance, if I take some risk (like drink-driving, a relevant topic
on another thread), and 'get away with it', MWI suggests I am still
responsible for other realities in which I crashed and injured or killed
myself and/or others. My whole approach to risk management becomes quite
different if all outcomes are realised. It no longer makes sense to think
about "if" something will happen to me in the future. I have to accept that
it all will happen, it's just that all those future mes won't know about
the other ones, so they will all have the impression of a single outcome.
It's a disorienting and disturbing thought. Of course it should't lead to
fatalism, since one's choices are part of the deterministic system that
determines the 'weight' of certain futures - and I suppose it should
actually lead to a kind of 'radical acceptance'. There's no point thinking
"why me?" or "what bad luck", since your experiencing this, and indeed
everything, is inevitable. But then I console myself by thinking that any
human-level qualitative interpretation of this level of reality is
mistaken, a kind of confusion of levels. And still it horrifies me...
(But like Bruno, my dedication to truth keeps me from rejecting it purely
because I hate it. The logic is very compelling.)
*Stathis: *
We accept as a society the risk of death by motor vehicle accident because
there is a 1/10,000 chance per year it will happen to an individual, even
though that means that in a large city a person will on average be killed
every day. I think this situation is analogous to the moral question of MWI
versus a single world interpretation of QM.
*Me:*
#1: I do not consider quantitative chance (probability) because of its
unidentified sequence of occurrence .
#2: I take MWI as a potentially valid idea - with the proviso that the
unverses are DIFFERENT. In my narrative I give an idea          to occur
infinite universes of infinite qualia - ours seems to be a moderate one
with no structural access to others, what          does not mean the same
vice versa. Hence: the "ZOOKEEPER" theories and the unexplained
occurrences.
#3: I take exception to any extension of anthropocentric ideas to the
"everything" of which we are not equipped to know a lot. -    That pertains
to quantizing (math?) and drawing conclusions upon observations of
phenomena we don't know indeed.
JM