On 4/29/2014 12:02 PM, John Mikes wrote:
*/Brent(?) wrote/*:

Nope.  Wasn't me, I wrote:
/
//Chris Fuchs is the main proponent of quantum Bayesianism, which also takes the wave-function to just be a summary of one's knowledge of the system - and so there is nothing surprising about it "collapsing" when you get new information.//
//
//Of course another alternative is an objective collapse theory like GRW. I'm just now reading a book by Ghirardi,"Sneaking a Look at God's Cards" which surveys the experiments that force the weirdness of QM on us and the various interpretations. Of course he devotes a special chapter to GRW theory, but he is very even handed.//
//
//I'm not sure why you're worried about MWI though. Is it because you read "Divide by Infinity"? I don't think that's what MWI really implies.//
/
Brent

No I never read that, but hell yeah, MWI worries me! Doesn't it worry you? I mean I know at one level that in a very real sense it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, since the other universes can never affect me, but at another the reality that everything happens to me that I can imagine is just plain terrifying. And the 'me' isn't just the versions of me that are still called by my name, I can't escape the conclusion that I am everyone and everyone is me and that *everyone's* experience is my experience at some level. If MWI ever does become the accepted conception of reality, we have a huge amount of philosophical reorientation ahead of us. For instance, if I take some risk (like drink-driving, a relevant topic on another thread), and 'get away with it', MWI suggests I am still responsible for other realities in which I crashed and injured or killed myself and/or others. My whole approach to risk management becomes quite different if all outcomes are realised. It no longer makes sense to think about "if" something will happen to me in the future. I have to accept that it all will happen, it's just that all those future mes won't know about the other ones, so they will all have the impression of a single outcome. It's a disorienting and disturbing thought. Of course it should't lead to fatalism, since one's choices are part of the deterministic system that determines the 'weight' of certain futures - and I suppose it should actually lead to a kind of 'radical acceptance'. There's no point thinking "why me?" or "what bad luck", since your experiencing this, and indeed everything, is inevitable. But then I console myself by thinking that any human-level qualitative interpretation of this level of reality is mistaken, a kind of confusion of levels. And still it horrifies me... (But like Bruno, my dedication to truth keeps me from rejecting it purely because I hate it. The logic is very compelling.)
*/Stathis: /*
We accept as a society the risk of death by motor vehicle accident because there is a 1/10,000 chance per year it will happen to an individual, even though that means that in a large city a person will on average be killed every day. I think this situation is analogous to the moral question of MWI versus a single world interpretation of QM.*/
/*
*/Me:/*
#1: I do not consider quantitative chance (probability) because of its unidentified sequence of occurrence . #2: I take MWI as a potentially valid idea - with the proviso that the unverses are DIFFERENT. In my narrative I give an idea to occur infinite universes of infinite qualia - ours seems to be a moderate one with no structural access to others, what does not mean the same vice versa. Hence: the "ZOOKEEPER" theories and the unexplained occurrences. #3: I take exception to any extension of anthropocentric ideas to the "everything" of which we are not equipped to know a lot. - That pertains to quantizing (math?) and drawing conclusions upon observations of phenomena we don't know indeed.
JM