On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 04:19:01PM -0400, Jesse Mazer wrote:
> >
> > The MWI advocate David Deutsch had a quote about choices and morality in
> > the article at
> >
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17122994.400-taming-the-multiverse.htmlwhich
> > made sense to me:
> >
> > "By making good choices, doing the right thing, we thicken the stack of
> > universes in which versions of us live reasonable lives. When you
> succeed,
> > all the copies of you who made the same decision succeed too. What you do
> > for the better increases the portion of the multiverse where good things
> > happen."
> >
> > Jesse
> >

> Makes no sense to me. You do not "thicken the stack of universes", nor
> do you "increase the portion of the multiverse where good things
> happen". The Multiverse just is - proportions do not change because of
> choices of inhabitants.

I agree that we don't "change" the multiverse itself since the MWI is
deterministic, but "thicken" and "increase" could just be taken as a
comparison between those whose personalities and beliefs make them more
likely to make good choices and those whose brains make them less likely.
And given the power of habit, perhaps each good choice modifies your brain
somewhat to make subsequent good choices more likely. If that's the case,
then a good choice at decision point A "thickens the stack" of branches
where you make further good choices about events B&C that follow A, in
comparison to the thinner stack of branches where your subsequent choices
about B&C were good after you made an immoral choice at A.

Jesse