On 4/29/2014 3:00 AM, Samiya Illias wrote:
An interesting conversation:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/feeling-our-emotions/?page=1
Bruno, can this be developed in a machine?
Samiya

*MIND*: Do you believe that we will someday be able to create artificial consciousness and feelings?

*Damasio*: An organism can possess feelings only when it can create a representation of the body's functions and the related changes that occur in the brain. In this way, the organism can perceive them. Without this mechanism there would be no consciousness. It is unclear that this could ever develop in a machine or whether we really want machines with feelings.

A Mars Rover knows its temperature, how much energy it has, where it is, where it wants to go, what it wants to do when it gets there, what obstacles are directly ahead. It knows whether it is healthy, i.e. all systems working or disabled.