From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2014 8:15 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Evolution from Scripture

On Fri, May 2, 2014  Samiya Illias <samiyaill...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John asks: Name one scientific fact in the Bible or the Koran that you
> wouldn't expect members of a Bronze Age tribe in 1500BC to know.

1.      More than one stomach in a honey bee's body
2.      Description of human embryo which can only be studied with a microscope
3.      Sex of the baby determined by the father's semen
4.      Lying is associated with the frontal brain
5.      Shape of the Eart
6.      Worker honey bees who collect food are females
7.      h is ovoid
8.      Iron is not indigenous to Earth
9.      Time is relative

You can explore these and more topics on the following links:

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_quran/

http://www.4islam.com/amazingquran.shtml

I have no way to refute these claims point by point because only a few vague
scriptural quotes are given, such as  "there emerges from their {bees] bellies
a drink", and "leech-like clot". Perhaps these quotes impress you, they don't
me. It's pretty clear what's going on, whenever science discovered one of the
above facts scholars then scrutinize the word salad that is the Koran and said
"oh yes the Koran predicted that" , but the funny thing is nobody made that
interpretation until AFTER science made the discovery. Just 20 years ago few
scientists believed that Dark Matter existed and NOBODY thought Dark Energy
did, and of course no religious scholar did either. Today things are very
different, virtually all scientists think that Dark Matter and Dark Energy both
exist I have no doubt that somebody somewhere has has found some silly
quotation and claimed that the Koran has predicted the existence of those
things too.

Although they know they exist science still doesn't know what Dark Matter or
Dark Energy are, but someday it will and just one day after it does somebody
will claim that the Koran foretold what those things were too; it would be a
bit more helpful if some student of the Koran would tell us NOW what these
things are, but that may be asking too much because predicting is hard,
especially the future. Predictions are much easier to make AFTER the event.

> John asks: And why do both books give so much moral advice that today we can
> only describe as evil?  Why is the God of the Bible such a moral imbecile?

1.      The scriptures need to be studied with reference to context.

In what context would it be moral to force somebody to eat their children and
their friends?

    > 2 The scriptures have suffered alterations,

So whatever the past virtues the scriptures may or may not have contained today
we can find better moral advice by examining a sack full of dead rats than in
examining scripture.

  >  3 Only the arabic text of the Quran has not suffered changes,

Mohamed was illiterate and never wrote anything, he dictated. And the Quran as
it exists today didn't come into being until long after Mohamed died and other
bipeds of the genus Homo and the species sapiens decided what to include in
that book and what to exclude, such as the Satanic Verses. And if Arabic is
better at transmitting ideas than other languages why is it that the Arabs have
not advanced Science in the last 700 years?

> I find the moral advice in the Quran to be based upon beautiful moral
> principles.

On nearly every page of the Quran you can find moral advice on how to kill
unbelievers as slowly and painfully as possible.

 > God is loving, kind and compassionat

Morally God as described in the Quran is indistinguishable from Satan as
described in the Quran. And the Bible is no better.

  John K Clark

John – we disagree on some matters, but I share your disdain for the Abrahamic
monotheism cults.

Religion, and especially the Abrahamic brands of magical thinking have visited
centuries of death, torture, repression, imposed ignorance, enforced adherence
to rigid (and falsified) dogma based on mythologized stories and fairy tales..
edified with the term scripture that makes it sound better than the selectively
edited, codified, primitive bronze age collection of misconceptions and magical
explanations for a universe they could not comprehend.

Chris