On 11 Jun 2014, at 22:56, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/11/2014 1:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Jun 2014, at 19:50, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/10/2014 1:07 AM, LizR wrote:
On 10 June 2014 16:52, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

Yeah that's pretty close, although I'd say consciousness just occurs at a different level of description and is equally "real" at that level. The second law of thermodynamics is "real" at the level of thermodynamics, even though it can be seen as implied by statistical mechanics. It is more general than any specific statistical mechanics. I don't think p-zombies are possible, so consciousness is a necessary aspect of some kinds of physical processes.

So I guess that you think that consciousness is as real as the second law, which is (as far as I know) an emergent property of the universe having been arranged in a special way in the past (plus the laws of physics, although I imagine most varieties of physics would give a version of the 2nd law, given a special arrangement of the constituents of a universe).

So it isn't really, really, really real <mime- attachment.gif> .... but it is a good high level approximation for -- er -- something. <mime-attachment.gif>

I put "real" in scare quotes because ontologies are relative to theories, stories we tell to describe the world. Since we don't even have a TOE, and if we did we couldn't know it was right, we don't know what's "real".

Not if comp is correct, in which case a computationalist know an infinity of equivalent TOE.

Sure, and if Christianity is correct you'll be punished for not worshipping Yahwe.

Come on. Comp is by default reasonable and already believed by most scientists. As science, I know only a minority of christians interpreting literally the text like if it was science.

he does not know them for sure, as he cannot know if comp is true, but those who believes in comp, does know a TOE in the theaetetus sense, if comp is true.

Further more, I'm not even sure that the reductionist program of looking for what's most fundamental (in a TOE) and reifying it is the right way to look at things. It leads to making strings or numbers, which we never experience, "real" and everything we experience (on which we base or theories) "illusory". I think this called the error of the misplaced concrete.

In that case we are just no machine and should never accept an artificial brain (or UDA is invalid of course).

That doesn't follow.  The doctor can still make a prosthetic brain.

Then you have to assume matter, and some magical non Turing emulable "essential" property, like its "real existence" to get consciousness (and prevent it in the arithmetical reality). that is akin to non- comp. It is exactly like in Everett: the math explains interfering histories, but we select one special among them.

Are you sure we don't need to bless the prosthetic brain with some holly water?

I don't think there is any choice in that matter, if we stick to rationalism and bet on comp.

But there is a difference with physical reductionism, which eliminate persons. Comp prevents such eliminative reductionism, and invite to listen to the machine, especially on what the machine is cautiously mute. Incompleteness provides the 1p association to the 3p machines. It is just a fact that []p & p behaves like a knower,

It's just a modal function.  I don't see that it "knows" anything.

It says things and they are true. Some are deep and non trivial about herself.

ISTM you are leaping the 3p/1p gap here in a way you consider illegitimate for physical theories.

Except Everett, and information theory, physics does not usually address the mind body problem.

I certainly don't consider the 3p/1p nuance illegitimate in physical theories as I applaud it in Everett, Wheeler, Rossler, Boscovitch, Tegmark. But most are still unclear on what the observer's nature is, and confuses the body and the mind, in a way not allowed if we assume digital mechanism.

and is (at the G* plane) the machine from the correct machine's view.