On 6/13/2014 12:49 AM, LizR wrote:
The closest I've seen to a computer programme behaving in what might be called an intelligent manner was in one of Douglas Hofstadter's books. (I think it designed fonts or something?) At least as he described it, it seemed to be doing something clever, but nowhere near the level needed to pass the Turing Test "for real" - but that's the point, I suppose. You can't expect to write a programme to pass the TT until you've written one that can do tiny bits of cleverness, and then another one that uses those tiny bits to be a bit more clever, and so on.

Or implement a good learning program and then take twenty years to train it.