On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 08:41:42PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> On 6/13/2014 6:52 PM, LizR wrote:
> >
> >Moore's law appears to have stopped working about 10 years ago,
> >going by a comparison of modern home computers with old ones. That
> >is, the processors haven't increased much in speed, but they have
> >gained more "cores", i.e. they've been parallelised, and more
> >memory and more storage. But the density of the components on the
> >chips hasn't increased by the predicted amount (or so I'm told).
> >
> I have a theory that no matter how fast they make the processors
> Microsoft will devise an operating system to slow them down.

That was true for quite some time, but they do seem to have reversed that
trend in the last couple of releases. Win 7 seems a  little snappier
than XP, and Win 8 is reportedly even more so (though I've never used it).

Conversely, Linux appears to have become more bloated over the years,
although not as dramatically as Windows did.

Just saying - I happen to use Linux as my primary OS, and will quite
possibly remain doing so for the rest of my life.

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)