On Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:52:02 AM UTC+10, Liz R wrote:

> On 13 June 2014 23:35, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 01:44:25AM -0700, Pierz wrote:
>> > Yes. But I have to wonder what we're doing wrong, because any
>> sophisticated
>> > piece of  modern software such as a modern OS or even this humble
>> mailing
>> > list/forum software we are using is already "hugely mind-bogglingly
>> > incremental". It has evolved over decades of incremental improvement
>> > involving thousands upon thousands of workers building up layers of
>> > increasing abstraction from the unfriendly silicon goings-on down below.
>> > And yet Siri, far from being a virtual Scarlett Johannson, is still
>> pretty
>> > much dumb as dog-shit (though she has some neat bits of crystallised
>> > intelligence built in. Inspired by "She" I asked her what she was
>> wearing,
>> > and she said, "I can't tell you but it doesn't come off."). Well, I'm
>> still
>> > agnostic on "comp", so I don't have to decide whether this conspicuous
>> > failure represents evidence against computationalism. I do however
>> consider
>> > the bullish predictions of the likes of Deutsch (and even our own dear
>> > Bruno) that we shall be uploading our brains or something by the end of
>> the
>> > century or sooner to be deluded. Deutsch wrote once (BoI?) that the
>> > computational power required for human intelligence is already present
>> in a
>> > modern laptop; we just haven't had the programming breakthrough yet. I
>> > think that is preposterous and can hardly credit he actually believes
>> it.
>> >

>> It overstates the facts somewhat - a modern laptop is probably still
>> about 3 orders of magnitude less powerful than a human brain, but with
>> Moore's law, that gap will be closed in about 15 years.
>>

> Moore's law appears to have stopped working about 10 years ago, going by a
> comparison of modern home computers with old ones. That is, the processors
> haven't increased much in speed, but they have gained more "cores", i.e.
> they've been parallelised, and more memory and more storage. But the
> density of the components on the chips hasn't increased by the predicted
> amount (or so I'm told).

No - we are hitting limits now in terms of miniaturization that are posing
serious challenges to the continuation of Moore's law. So far, engineers
have - more or less - found ways of working around these problems, but this
can't continue indefinitely. However, it's really a subsidiary point. If we
require 1000x the power of a modern laptop, that's easily (if somewhat
expensively) achieved with parallelization, a la Google's PC farms. Of
course this only helps if we parallelize our AI algorithms, but given the
massive parallelism of the brain, this should be something we'd be doing
anyway. And yet I don't think anyone would argue that they could achieve
human-like intelligence even with all of Google's PCs roped together. It's
an article of faith that all that is required is a programming
breakthrough. I seriously doubt it. I believe that human intelligence is
fundamentally linked to qualia (consciousness), and I've yet to be
convinced that we have any understanding of that yet. I am familiar of
course with all the arguments on this subject, including Bruno's theory
about unprovable true statements etc, but in the end I remain unconvinced.
For instance I would ask how we would torture an artificial consciousness
(if we were cruel enough to want to)? How would we induce pain or pleasure?
Sure we can "reward" a program for correctly solving a problem in some kind
of learning algorithm, but anyone who understands programming and knows
what is really going on when that occurs must surely wonder how
incrementing a register induces pleasure (or decrementing it, pain).
Anyway. Old hat I guess. My point is it comes down to a "bet", as Bruno
likes to say. An statement of faith. At least Bruno admits it is such. As
things stand, given the current state of AI, I'd bet the other way.

>> However, it is also true that having a 1000-fold more powerful
>> computer does not get you human intelligence, so the programming
>> breakthrough is still required.
>>
>> Yes, you have to know how people do it.

Quote from ... someone: "If the brain were so simple we could understand
it, we'd be so simple we couldn't."