On Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:03:28 PM UTC+1, John Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM, <ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > John. You have just mentioned I.Q. which is a specific kind of measure.
>> Would you be willing to clarify where you stand on the science behind I.Q.?
>>

> I was using the term "IQ", perhaps sloppily, as a sort of shorthand, I
> certainly didn't mean to suggest it was the be all and end all. Indeed  it
> would be remarkable if the most complex thing in the known universe,
> intelligence, could be measured with just one number; you need 2 numbers (a
> Vector) just to measure something as simple as the wind, one for speed and
> one for direction. I imagine that for a good measure of intelligence you'd
> need a Tensor, and a big one.

I agree with both points, the first one being substantial: that
the distinct field of cognitive science is clearly inadequate and/or likely
to be a partial answer to the question of intelligence. My response to that
would be: nevertheless it does feature the hallmarks of robust knowledge.

The second point is true, but only in the trivial case of someone takes a
measurement, resulting in a number. In cognitive science arrives at
the 'g-factor' from a large base of convergent statistically robust - and
mutually independent - lines of evidence.

It's also worth mentioning that a large amount of knowledge does in fact
converge to individual values. Like constants of nature.

> Besides consisting of only one number another problem is that IQ tests are
> written by psychologists, I don't happen to believe that the very brightest
> members of our species tend to go into that profession and tests have
> difficulty measuring the intelligence of somebody smarter than the one who
> wrote the test.

Definitely agree with what you might be inferring about the current status
in psychology study...in fact I'd probably say the field is pre-science and
even on a worsening trajectory.

However, just as a good university can have bad departments, and vice
verca, psychology as a field will contain sub-domains that are better or
worse. I'll leave that one open as to the veracity of psychometric testing
and so on. I leave it open because I don't think it's a legitimate
criticism of cognitice science because:

- typically robust fields of knowledge exhibit convergent lines of
evidence/science, that perform the plausible critical function of
preserving only the hardest most reliable datum within each line (has to
happen because the result is a single field, and we've already eliminated
failed fields by saying 'robust fields'.

- this is certainly the case in cognitive science.

> When the great physicist Richard Feynman was in high school he had an IQ
> test and all he got was a mediocre 125. The best definition of intelligence
> that I can think of is "the sort of thing that Richard Feynman did",
> therefore it is not Feynman but the authors of the test who should feel
> embarrassed by this. Meanwhile  one of the highest ranked Mensa members
> alive today, with an IQ north of 200, works as a bouncer in a bar.

Yeah that'll be Chris Langan. It isn't really fair to dismiss someone
because they choose a certain profession. Langan was young punk from a hard
background, who learned to brawl and rather liked it, teenage tearaway, who
oneday took a test, and was found to have at or near the highest IQ in
history. The guy's head is visibly larger than one normally expects (and
his bone is harder as people he nuts find out)

Well look, I hang out with some v.high IQ fellows and your point has been
my point there. Those places are full of good guys, but there's an awful
stench of un-earned self-proclaimed status. Backed up, with dreadful
sketches of everything humanity has done by I.Q. band. It's not uncommon
for a guy with an I.Q. at the 4th standard deviation and above to be going
around saying things like "I'm already functioning at the level of
Einstein". Fuck off!

Yeah, so there's intuition for example. Which isn't explained, but at the
end of day, just like I.Q. it's going to come down to regains of brain,
and their connectors and so on. Personal testimony: some of stupidest
attitudes - as well as some of the most brilliant - I have heard from guys
with verified IQ scores 170+

So it's not a settled matter. But then again, there's that historic fact of
robust knowledge featuring distributed layers of related but independent
knowledge. None of what you or I have said, has actually undermined what is
a layer of independently robust knowledge in intelligence.,

> The man with the highest IQ ever may have been a fellow by the name of
> William James Sidis (1898-1944). Sidis's IQ can only be approximately known
> even though he took many many IQ tests, the tests were just not up to the
> task, he was off the charts. Abraham Sterling, director of New York City's
> Aptitude Testing Institute said:
>
> "He easily had an IQ between 250 and 300, I have never heard of anybody
> with such an IQ. I would say that he was the most prodigious intellect of
> our entire generation".

Well first of all, it's rubbish to even speak of IQs that high, because
it's increasingly hard to standardize over 150. Once you get up to 180, all
the hard science drops away. However there has been a lot of work done
the last 30 years in producing IQ tests that are not timed, and not
monitored, that feature immensely difficult problems, and they have
normalised to some extent simply by testing the people known to have the
highest IQ's via approaches that are robust. These tests for example, might
feature 40 question. Getting ONE right and the rest wrong, is usually
normalized to an IQ of something like 130.