On Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:34:10 PM UTC+1, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 6:43 AM, <ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote
>

>>  > A lot is understood about intelligence in humans
>>

> Almost nothing is understood about intelligence in humans, otherwise we
> could double our IQ...

You're one of the people I almost always relate to in terms of
thinking/science. I'm interested in this subject. There are some context
issues going on John. You have just mentioned I.Q. which is a specific kind
of measure. Would you be willing to clarify where you stand on the science
behind I.Q.?

The reason is that we live in a time where there is large pressure on
people to toe certain lines whether they believe its true or not. If I can
know whether you/others are toeing that line, then I will steer clear of
the things people would rather not look at.

Reason I think you might be in that category....is....

>  [ .......]by knowing which modes of thought are productive and which just
> waste time and lead nowhere.

John this statement appears to suggest  I.Q. differences between
individuals are a matter of good or bad philosophy in modes of thinking.
There's a huge amount science that is tied to thousands of large scale
tests on the one hand, and hundreds of some of the strongest neurological
science, that has settled fairly firmly these last 30 years on I.Q.
difference being 0.8 heritable, and 0.2 uncertain. A huge amount of work
has gone into study of whether I.Q. changes through life. Basically, the
answer is yes, from about 0 to 5 or 6 years old, kids can lose ground or
gain ground. However, by about 8 these fluctuations restore to expectations
on other measure and *never* fluctuate again.

We talk about past generations who stood up for what was true and all the
rest. But every generation faces this. Right now, a whole science is being
overturned by pressure and 'scientific' arguments none of which have EVER
explained the empirical evidence, OR conducted a SINGLE survey ... i.e. an
empirical test involving tests or whatever, that has backed up their
postulations, or failed to verify the science of IQ.

So what are we talking about here? Are we talking where the hard science
is, or are we talking about something else? I need to know, because I'm
committed to science, whatever. That's where I am.

>> > we can do things like make a list of life outcomes that are most
>> strongly tied in with intelligence
>>

> And if a machine can obtain more of those outcomes than I can then the
> machine is smarter than me.

Yes ...with the same constraints and limitations as well. But John...,we
have no means to do this with a computer as now. While we do have means to
do this with ourselves. So for that reason, the problem itself is not equal
because the means are not equal. Certainly the underlying problem, with
means controlled, may well be. We don't know. But why not.

> > you've said the hard problem is intelligence and not consciousness.
>>

> Yes, that's why so many people on this list have a consciousness theory
> but not one has a intelligence theory.

Sure, but I would normally assume we are speaking first and foremost about
scientific knowledge. Of course, laypeople don't necessarily understand
intelligence and may not be interested in that so much. Consciousness is
focussed in lay population precisely because there is no hard science. So
that's reasonable. It's good that people don't try to come up with theories
while ignoring the science - which is the definition of a crank.

But there is something with the same characteristics as a 'crank' but when
the motivation is due more to coercion or misinformation. Are you for
example, in your theory (of the status of cognitive science) consciously or
unconsciously ignoring the science?

> There is no easier job in the world than being a consciousness theorist
> because any theory works about as well as any other, and even if you happen
> to stumble upon the correct one there is no way to know that you have. On
> the other hand there is no harder job in the world than being a
> intelligence theorist, but at least if you happen to stumble upon the
> correct intelligence theory the fact that you've suddenly become the
> world's first trillionaire is a pretty good hint that your theory is on the
> right track.

I totally agree with your observations about consciousness theory. But your
conclusion that this is the mark of easiness...I would argue you are
missing a layer at which an important distinction separates the same
observations into both 'easy' as you say, and 'hard'. That distinction is
between scientific knowledge and the history of that, and layperson
/philosophical knowledge and the history of that.

All hard won scientific knowledge started out as dismally as consciousness
theorizing. Discovery chemical involved impossibly hard problems that no
one even had the first clue about for so long.

So point being, in your theory, you really need to make that distinction
and if you believe your theory is true for both paths - science and
layperson - then you'll need to make two different cases.

>> > humans can learn skills by repetition and we have to be able to say
>> whether these correlations are about learning skills or intelligence.
>>

> More pathetic sore looser rationalizations, you didn't win because you're
> smarter than me, you're just more skilful. And so it came to pass that
> after outmaneuvering 8 billion people the last surviving member of the
> species Homo Sapiens turned to the Jupiter Brain 4 seconds before the
> Godlike computer sent it into oblivion forever and said "nevertheless I
> still think I'm *really* smarter than you".

love the use of abstract symbol metaphor..I see your point. But I was
intending to be in the very narrow context of statistical law. All I'm
talking about is the suite of statistical tools that allow humans to
correlate, in a disciplined way, such that it is understand how to identify
and control for ambiguity. I could have listed dozens of controls, not just
hard work or learning skills. What about privilege? There no value in
correlating 1000 outcomes (individuals) in fields where high performance
cognition is a premium, unless you are going to filter out people who get
jobs because of rich parents or ethnic networks, and spend a lot of their
career being 'carried'. That's all I was talking about. controls.