OK, thanks. I'm still not sure what tropical means in this context, but the
comment about numbers makes sense - indeed, what else can we do? Science
tells us how things work, if we're lucky, but not why they exist or even
what they are, so all we can end up with is measurements about which we
make hypotheses, and repeat until some sort of equilibrium is reached (e.g.
97% of climate scientists agree, or a measurement exceeds 5 sigma, or
whatever).