On 17 Sep 2014, at 19:30, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> There might be non relationship between consciousness and smartness.

If there is not a relationship between consciousness and smartness then Darwin was wrong,

Proof?

Consciousness is related to an abstract computational loop, roughly speaking the one making a machine or number Turing-Universal (I will say more to Brent on this). This exist in arithmetic. Human and Earthly creature did need the (local and relative) Darwin Evolution to develop the ability to singularize/differentiate that abstract, but real, consciousness, which I think is the same for all universal machine/number, and relate it with smartness and a vast complex lattice of very different sort of competence, as exemplified by living beings.

but there is no evidence that Darwin was wrong

I can agree with this.

and there is a avalanche of evidence supporting Darwin's idea, an idea that has been called the best single thought any human being has ever had. In science there is always a possibility that you're mistaken, and there have certainly been refinements in the 150 years since Darwin's book was published, but I think you'd need scientific notation to express the probability that any of the important fundamental concepts in that old book (like natural selection and random mutation) were wrong.

Nor is there any evidence that computationalism, and its consequences are wrong. Indeed many aspect of the quantum reality, which is weird for an Aristotlian, is natural and justified for a computationalist (which has to be platonist, at least arithmetical platonist).

Bruno

  John K Clark