On 19 October 2014 06:48, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> > Gödel shows that there are solution of Einstein's equation of
>> gravitation with closed timelike curves, making them consistent.
>>

> But only if you assume that the Universe is rotating, and experimental
> evidence proves that it is not. And only if you assume that Einstein's
> General Theory of Relativity is 100% correct, and we know it can't be, it's
> the best theory of gravity we have but it can't be the final word because
> it doesn't take Quantum Mechanics into account.

That isn't quite true. Several GR based time machines have been proposed -
Tipler cylinders and wormholes, at least, as well as a Godel universe. And
none of these require GR to be 100% correct, merely correct on the scale
involved (the only place anyone is (99%) sure GR breaks down is within
something like the Planck length from where there would, according to GR,
be a singularity - but at least some GR based time machines don't involve
singularities).